• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    That's like playing the lottery with life. :noway:

Wasn't the first mistake I've made or the last. The lucky ones get a chance to learn from dumb moves. Even luckier ones don't have to make their own, they pay attention when some one who knows what they are talking about gives 'em a little tip.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    shot shotgun shells with a 22, shot and arrow out of a black powder gun, shot a ram rod out of a black powder gun,

The .22 and shotshell thing is fun. If one is luckey, they sort of fizz up and crackle. Really fun reactive target! :) You wont believe how many people think its dangerous to do so. Too many movies they are basing that opinion on if you ask me!

Also, I have done the ramrod thing. FUN ON A BUN! Any further than 25 yards though, mine began tumbling and hit the target sideways, the ULTIMATE keyhole! :D

There is a lot of fun that can be had with firearms, but folks have to be careful and really double check their numbers (yes, that means you have to research numbers to begin with, a step that costs the fingers of many amateur handloaders and tinkerers all over).

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The .22 and shotshell thing is fun. If one is luckey, they sort of fizz up and crackle. Really fun reactive target! :) You wont believe how many people think its dangerous to do so. Too many movies they are basing that opinion on if you ask me!

Also, I have done the ramrod thing. FUN ON A BUN! Any further than 25 yards though, mine began tumbling and hit the target sideways, the ULTIMATE keyhole! :D

There is a lot of fun that can be had with firearms, but folks have to be careful and really double check their numbers (yes, that means you have to research numbers to begin with, a step that costs the fingers of many amateur handloaders and tinkerers all over).

Don't take any of my previous comments as recomendations or even bragging. I didn't learn anything different from exactly what I expected to happen. Most times it was little more than putting a big talker, never doner, bullschitter at work to sleep motivating the expiriments. It's not worth the cost of wasting the ammo just to say you've actually done the thing you are claiming. 44 mags don't "pierce engine blocks" ect, ect.

Just go read the "Box of truth" page. I don't recall a single deviation on that web page from anything I'd expect from the stuff we did.

Only real surprises was a 30-06 armour piercing round, it's unbelievable what they will penetrate and 25 acp. It's unbelievable I ever bought one of those and what a weak underperforming pathetic round 25acp is.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Don't take any of my previous comments as recomendations or even bragging. I didn't learn anything different from exactly what I expected to happen. Most times it was little more than putting a big talker, never doner, bullschitter at work to sleep motivating the expiriments. It's not worth the cost of wasting the ammo just to say you've actually done the thing you are claiming. 44 mags don't "pierce engine blocks" ect, ect.

Just go read the "Box of truth" page. I don't recall a single deviation on that web page from anything I'd expect from the stuff we did.

Only real surprises was a 30-06 armour piercing round, it's unbelievable what they will penetrate and 25 acp. It's unbelievable I ever bought one of those and what a weak underperforming pathetic round 25acp is.

Believe me, its all about studying even the simplest of physics and understanding and planning for what will happen. Braggin? Naw. Its only braggin when you dont back it with actions.

I have a friend that has a "shooting car". I got so tired of him gassing on about .357 penetrating an engine block that we put it to the test. .357 was a horrible failure against the block and with a variety of ammo, including some higher velocity (read: hot loadings) FMJ that I had loaded. He tried his .44 lever gun to little success. Changed his views on that stuff VERY quickly. He is now the "none of what you hear, half of what you see" person.

My other fav was the .22 mag penetrating a vest crap that I kept hearing from a coworker. He was going on and on about how ANY .22 Mag would penetrate vests. Why? His buddy on the "insert small town" police department told him so. Also, according to same buddy, ALL cop cars are worked over by performance shops and have nitrous to catch speeders. :dunno: I had an expired soft plate and personally showed him that his cheap FIE .22 Mag revolver (that he claimed he had due to the above and kept it loaded "in case someone with body armor attacks him") wouldnt do crap to the plate. Tied it to a tree and fired at close range (1 meter or so). Nothing, imbedded in the plate. At least he still has the cop car thing... :D

The idea isnt to "I told you so", its to prevent ignorance. Hell, with these "experiments", one may even help prevent an accident due to bad info.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Another good page is Varmint Al. He has done some great research, expecially with the 17 HMR.

I have only double checked a little of his work but it's enough to convince me he's full bore the real thing and no bullchips.

Top Bottom