• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Anyone here hunt hogs in Georgia? I will be going in March. I am going to region 7. Anyone hunt that area? Open to any and all suggestions.

:patriot:

tightlines

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    West of Indy
    Good luck! you will have to give us a report when you return. I too have been wanting to plan a trip to the south for my first hog hunt. No idea where to start

DMBFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Boonville,IN
    I've never been, but I have a friend that recently moved to Louisiana and has. He told me I have an open invitation to visit anytime. Planning on going this summer and trying to kill one myself.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Having lived 10 yrs. in Fla, and spent a lotta time in Arkansas, I'd think now is the time to go-the heat and bugs and humidity are relentless in summer,and summer is about 7 months long down there!

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I am going to Fiji in September to go diving. On the island I will be on, they have a hog problem. They are also the only island that has hog hunts! YEAH! But, I found out it was with spear and machete only. I'm in. Booking the hunt while I'm there.

Spear would be bad ass, but those teeth are a little too big for me to get that close. Killed one with a bow when I was a teenager.

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    I've killed probably 6-7 feral hogs in Texas in the past. We either hunted them from deer stands or spot and stalk from pipelines.

We used real centerfire deer rifle calibers (not Indiana deer rifle calibers...LOL) from .243 min to 300 Win mag. If you use a .243 shoot for the head (ear). A friend of mine shot one in the shoulder, then followed up with a head shot to put it down. Upon skinning, the 75 gr. hollow point, hit the shoulder bone and it didn't punch through to the heart/lung area. If he hadn't followed up quickly with that head shot he would have run off. The .270 or 30-06 would have punched through to the heart/lungs.

Field dress, them quickly and properly and it will be some of the best pork you'll ever eat. I will make one caveot to that last statement, ocasionally you just get a bad tasting one. I killed a boar once which one of the "hicks" down there had captured while a shoat in a trap and castrated it. It was about 300 lbs and I cut off about 100+ lbs of fat., it was horrible tasting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've killed probably 6-7 feral hogs in Texas in the past. We either hunted them from deer stands or spot and stalk from pipelines.

We used real centerfire deer rifle calibers (not Indiana deer rifle calibers...LOL) from .243 min to 300 Win mag. If you use a .243 shoot for the head (ear). A friend of mine shot one in the shoulder, then followed up with a head shot to put it down. Upon skinning, the 75 gr. hollow point, hit the shoulder bone and it didn't punch through to the heart/lung area. If he hadn't followed up quickly with that head shot he would have run off. The .270 or 30-06 would have punched through to the heart/lungs.

Field dress, them quickly and properly and it will be some of the best pork you'll ever eat. I will make one caveot to that last statement, ocasionally you just get a bad tasting one. I killed a boar once which one of the "hicks" down there had captured while a shoat in a trap and castrated it. It was about 300 lbs and I cut off about 100+ lbs of fat., it was horrible tasting.

Why was your friend using groundhog (rodent) bullets on a real hog (swine)?
    :noway:

Shoulda used a reg 100 gr or so deer bullet, or maybe something lighter but of all copper.

Hell, I've had 75 gr Speer HP's not exit many a groundhog. No way would I use that on a critter over 100 lbs.

I suspect your friend's bullet choice to be wrong, not that of cartridge.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Hunted them a few years ago near Warner/Robbins AFB. They were baited. Waited all day to shoot one at dusk.

Top Bottom