BASE_Max_630_378.png
    domestic financial terrorists

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/BASE_Max_630_378.png

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    When are we going to realize the Fed isn't helping? Why can't we put an end to this nonsense? Maybe we need to have a hard landing to shake out the weakness and get it over with. I can't begin to comprehend how QE hepls me. It makes hte money I do have worthless. Gas, groceries, clothing all cost more. My employer has frozen wages and if you don't have a job already, good luck! They just need to let market forces prevail, let those who have been risky fail and stop artificially propping up all the losers!

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There's never been a better time to be in debt. Go borrow and buy all that stuff you want. You'll be paying it back with dollars worth a lot less than the ones you borrowed.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Oh come on.... what's another $1,000,000,000,000 anyhow?

Well.....

There are roughly 31,557,600 seconds in a year.

If you equate 1 second to one dollar, then $1 million is approximately .03 years.

$1 billion is approximately 31.69 years. So, if you were paying down $1 billion in debt at the rate of $1 per second, it would take approximately 31.69 years to retire the debt. Note, this is assuming no interest.

$100 billion is approximately 3,168.81 years. Thus, to have had a debt of $100 billion retired today, one would have had to begin paying off that debt at $1 per second roughly 1,169 years before Christ.

$1 trillion of debt, paid at the rate of $1 per second and assuming no interest, would take approximately $31,688 years to retire.

As I write this, the US National debt is approximately $15.3 trillion. I will let you do the math regarding how many years that equates to. (The number is increasing. Here is the US National Debt Clock http://www.usdebtclock.org/ )

By the way, it is also worth noting that the social security obligations and medicare and medicade obligations that garner so much attention are not included in these numbers.

Just something to think about next time some pin head politician is droning on about how much he or she wants to help you.

Best regards.

pacem ora, para bellum

Top Bottom