• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    In doing some research on 1911 and .45 in general I ran across the fact that the Chrysler plant here in Eville durring the war actually made ammo for the cause and was the largest supplier of .45 during the war. Has anyone ever seen any of this. It would be so cool to have a box.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Cool. Where did you find this info? There was many factories here in Muncie that did war stuff but don't know what.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Cool. Where did you find this info? There was many factories here in Muncie that did war stuff but don't know what.

It was on an NRA webpage, about all of the Ordnance manufacturers in the US during that time. International Harvester made some M1 Garands here as well.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I've got a couple boxes of it. If I remember right, the headstamp says EC 45. I bought it at a gun shop here in Evansville a few years ago. Mine came in a square tin that I gave to a buddy who collects old ammo and such.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    That'd be kind of cool to come across something like that. Sadly it took a war though for business to boom in this area

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I saw some of this at Traildust surplus in Bloomington a while back. Thay have a display of a bunch of old ammo. I think I heard somewhere that they also manufactured the little Liberator pistols there in Evansville. I know that it was at a guide lamp factory somewhere.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Chrysler plant, now the Hahn building just south of Diamond Ave, produced 95% of the .45 acp ammo in WWII. The plant also produced small amounts of .30 carbine. They designed a special paper encapsulated shot shell round for survival kits. The same plant also rebuilt tanks later on. There is a small book about the plant available at Central Library. Remnants of the ammo bunkers can be seen at the 4H grounds.

And yes, Evansville also produced P-47 planes and LST's. Later the Int'l Harvestor plant made M1 Garands.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I think I saw some of this at Traildust surplus in Bloomington a while back. Thay have a display of a bunch of old ammo. I think I heard somewhere that they also manufactured the little Liberator pistols there in Evansville. I know that it was at a guide lamp factory somewhere.

Guide Lamp in Anderson.

Top Bottom