• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Is it legal for Emergency Medical Personnel to carry firearms in Indiana? I know different states have differing laws regarding the issue.

And do you think they should be able to carry? It is not unusual for EMS personnel to be attacked during runs, and I believe Indianapolis Fire Department actually issues ballistic vests to some EMS personnel. (Not to mention they are driving a drug wagon around town with lots of goodies on board.)

Should they be permitted to carry? I recently read several articles advocating arming certain EMS providers in high-crime areas, but that would certainly open a whole new can of worms... Would N.W.A. come out with a new song F*ck Tha Medics?

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    They would want to have a plan in the event the call was to a prohibited area such as a school, courthouse, post office, etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is it legal for Emergency Medical Personnel to carry firearms in Indiana? I know different states have differing laws regarding the issue.

And do you think they should be able to carry? It is not unusual for EMS personnel to be attacked during runs, and I believe Indianapolis Fire Department actually issues ballistic vests to some EMS personnel. (Not to mention they are driving a drug wagon around town with lots of goodies on board.)

Should they be permitted to carry? I recently read several articles advocating arming certain EMS providers in high-crime areas, but that would certainly open a whole new can of worms... Would N.W.A. come out with a new song F*ck Tha Medics?

I've yet to have an ambulance robbed, and I can't think of a medic being shot or stabbed in Marion Co. They do run into combative patients fairly often, but they just stand off and call the police. I've got nothing against them carrying, but I don't know how much difference it would make.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    legal yes, allowed by the companies, almost definitely not. Its not something most first responders aside from police NEED in order to carryout their duties, as we typically wait until police have everything honkey dory before we go in. occasionally we will end up in some hairy situations before the police arrive, but never been in a situation (besides a dog bite) where a gun even crossed my mind.

That being said, if I were allowed to carry I absolutely would, but I love my job to much to risk it since its against department policy.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I've yet to have an ambulance robbed, and I can't think of a medic being shot or stabbed in Marion Co. They do run into combative patients fairly often, but they just stand off and call the police. I've got nothing against them carrying, but I don't know how much difference it would make.

Out of interest, do you know if IFD does indeed issue anyone vests? It seems a bit far fetched, but I was informed of it through someone who should know what he was talking about.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    legal yes, allowed by the companies, almost definitely not. Its not something most first responders aside from police NEED in order to carryout their duties, as we typically wait until police have everything honkey dory before we go in. occasionally we will end up in some hairy situations before the police arrive, but never been in a situation (besides a dog bite) where a gun even crossed my mind.

That being said, if I were allowed to carry I absolutely would, but I love my job to much to risk it since its against department policy.

I guess that's just a good excuse to shell out for the fancy Emerson knife, right?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Out of interest, do you know if IFD does indeed issue anyone vests? It seems a bit far fetched, but I was informed of it through someone who should know what he was talking about.

IFD does NOT issue any vests.

I guess that's just a good excuse to shell out for the fancy Emerson knife, right?

I used to have a small fixed blade on the outside of my gear. it was there for 3 years and passed 3 inspections. On the 4th inspection all the sudden it was a no go, and I have yet to figure out a way to have a fixed blade readily accessible w/out being on the outside of my gear. I have been bit by a dog, and that's the reason I like the knife but more often than not I use it to pry apart plastic before we cut a car on extrications, or just general purpose stuff... that thing really came in handy and miss having it on my gear where it was.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    As emergency services providers, wouldn't EMS personnel be immune to sensitive areas laws while on a run?

No, I believe that immunity comes from being LEO, I don't believe the IC has any exemptions for those places for anyone besides LEO's, but I could be mistaken. Doesn't matter much though because no Fire or EMS agency is going to allow their personnel to carry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I don't know of any medics, other than the SWAT medics, who have vests. I don't claim to know much about IFD policies, though, so I also can't categorically say they don't.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I don't know of any medics, other than the SWAT medics, who have vests. I don't claim to know much about IFD policies, though, so I also can't categorically say they don't.

IFD does not issue vests. the swat medics whether they work for Eskanazi or IFD would have vests issues by the LE agencies and not their parent department, as the "swat medic" program is more of a side job than it is an official duty of IFD or eskanazi.

On the flip side, you guys should talk the mayor into issuing IFD vests... I wouldn't mind a free one :):

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Legal? Yes. Allowed per company policy? I know of only one service that allows it.

I've never had a run where I thought I would need it. Typically, we can either shut them down pretty quick or law enforcement is not too far to respond to our truck.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Thirty six years of full time employment as a medic and I have only needed a weapon one time.

I am lucky that way...

I did carry while I was in Louisiana after Katrina.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As emergency services providers, wouldn't EMS personnel be immune to sensitive areas laws while on a run?

And, yes. Legal, yes. Against company policy, most likely.

No exemption for carry in verboten areas.

Every time this thread comes up we get the same types of responses. Many folks seem to think that just because we're EMTs/paramedics, somehow we should not be carrying because somehow our risk is lower. That's just complete and utter BS. Even if my risk of running into violence is half of that (just making a number up here) why does that mean I should be disarmed if I feel the need to be armed? Why when here on INGO someone dares suggest that a civilian doesn't need a gun when taking their child to school, arguably one of the safest places folks go, the INGO army rises up and shouts down the person who holds that opinion, many of those same people are the ones who use the "EMTs are not going into dangerous situations so they don't need to be armed."

That's complete and utter BS. My biggest risk of dying as an EMT on the street is a traffic accident, yet that doesn't mean I should not be allowed the option to carry a weapon should I feel that being responsible for my own self defense is something I feel necessary. Sure, an employer can set their own policies, it's a semi-free country and all that, but that doesn't mean I have to think it's the right thing. FWIW, I have been an EMT since 1988. I worked in Indy for 4 years right after I became certified and regardless of company policy I was armed that whole time as were several partners I had. Right now I work in one of the absolute safest situations you can get as an EMT and I would still prefer to be armed, just as I prefer to be armed when I am off-duty.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think paramedics, emts, firefighters, cops, and everyone else should have the exactly same options to exercise their right to be armed without legal or professional repercussions.

shades171

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think a Wishard Medic was shot in the stomach years ago. Not sure if CC would have made the difference. Agree with everyone here that it is best to go my company policy.

Top Bottom