• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    The guys and I in my hunting lease are about to build 2 or 3 elevated box blinds on our 160+ acre lease between 12-16 feet tall (at the floor).

Anyone have plans or pics of ones you built that you can post up?

Some questions:

1. What do you like, dislike about yours. (What would you do different)
    2. Did you paint yours or let it "grey" with weathering. Assuming you used treated wood.
    3. Do you have a outside porch access, underfloor access or side wall door access?
    4. Did you build vertical bow hunting windows?
    5. Is yours strong enough to stand on the roof?

Thanks!!

Money17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you do a google search you will find several sites that either give you the plans and lumber list for free or for just a few dollars. Some have reviews from other hunters about likes/dislikes of the plans. I have found a couple that I've been thinking about building, just haven't had the time.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I was in a lease in SW Georgia, where they had built box stands overlooking a large field. They were large enough for 2 to sit in side by side. they had open sides and front from hip height (chest height if sitting) and canvas flaps to roll down on the front and sides. Bottom entry w/ trap door. All of the window ledges I tacked carpet onto to keep things quiet and to give a great rest for the rifle.

We cut and mowed lanes through the field and made range cards which we nailed up in the blind so you knew where the other stands were and the yardage for any shot. Nice way to hunt and I saw a lot of wildlife besides the deer we took. I shot bobcat, coyotes, and even a wild pig from these stands and watched a lot of hawks and owls work the field.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The guys and I in my hunting lease are about to build 2 or 3 elevated box blinds on our 160+ acre lease between 12-16 feet tall (at the floor).

Anyone have plans or pics of ones you built that you can post up?

Some questions:

1. What do you like, dislike about yours. (What would you do different)
    2. Did you paint yours or let it "grey" with weathering. Assuming you used treated wood.
    3. Do you have a outside porch access, underfloor access or side wall door access?
    4. Did you build vertical bow hunting windows?
    5. Is yours strong enough to stand on the roof?

Thanks!!
    1. Noisy unless you are extremely careful... bump, kick anything and you get a nice "drum" effect on the plywood
    2. painted (built from scrap, untreated lumber)
    3. Side-door
    4. Heck yes... way over kill... found a piece of 4'X4'X1" thick HDPE plastic in a plastic salvage yard that I bought for $20. It's actually so heavy that after a year, the one side started to settle and it fell over because of how top-heavy it is...

I don't get a chance to use it much any more... never did shoot any deer out of it...

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Never been a fan of box blinds. Farmer has one were I hunt and I can watch deer from my stand steer clear from it. The mature deer anyways. Not saying I have no experience with them though so if you are going to do it here is my two cents. Use screws not nails. Critter proof it. Treated wood obviously. Elevation! Put a good roof on it. Something as simple as a membrane works great. Cover the entire inside floor with a rubber mat or something else that absorbs sound. Lots of plans online.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    My friend built a "relief tube" into his. It's just a funnel attached to a water hose that runs down to the ground. He dug a pit about 24 inched deep, ran the end of the hose into it, laid down about 2 inches of pea gravel and then buried it all. Now he doesn't have to bottle it up and doesn't have to worry about odor.
    To control the drum effect, use felt (or similar) on the top of the joists where the floor rests, and use outdoor carpeting inside.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    My brother in-laws "condo" is the best I've hunted out of so far, but next year, I think he is planning a new build. It's on his land in Wisconsin, and there is basically a half floor underneath, insulated and housing a Mr. Buddy single plate propane heater. Plus he has a 16lb can mounted underneath with a hose leading to the unit. With the vented floor of the 4x8 roofed beauty, the ambient temperature below the walls was a comfortable 60deg, with it being in the 20's outside. The only problem up there, if you get much scent on the doors and ladders, the bears will tear the heck out of things. So........repair is inevitable before season.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Here is one that I built in my shop. Complete steel construction. Fully insulated and carpeted. Sliding lexan windows and blacked out on the inside. I built it for my daughters to hunt out of. They have killed a few deer out of it. Kind of nice in that we can run a heater and stay out of the rain and wind. The deer don't mind the box blind, they walk right by it all year long.

ManLandBlind01.jpg

ManLandBlind04.jpg

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Here is one that I built in my shop. Complete steel construction. Fully insulated and carpeted. Sliding lexan windows and blacked out on the inside. I built it for my daughters to hunt out of. They have killed a few deer out of it. Kind of nice in that we can run a heater and stay out of the rain and wind. The deer don't mind the box blind, they walk right by it all year long.

Also works as a zombie-deer safehouse.

Top Bottom