• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I currently have an old Echo 2 stroke from the 1990's era with a curved shaft. I've never had an issue with the engine but I feel like the head angle makes it difficult to get a good trim especially around my fence. Would I be better served by looking into a more modern design? Brands to look at?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Not much help here. Running a Craftsman convertible setup for the last 12 years. No issues. Have trimmer, blower, and tiller attachments for it. Can also start it with a cordless drill if I'm to lazy to pull the rope

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought a Royobi 4-stroke last year with the straight shaft.
    I've heard several times that the curved shafts tend to wear out faster.
    No idea if this is true or not, but I like the straight shaft better anyway.

The model I bought has interchangeable heads.
    I bought the string trimmer head, and the hard-blade trimmer head that will chew down small saplings.

The Royobi has plenty of power for my needs.
    It's easy to start and doesn't seem to use much gas.
    The string change-out is also incredibly easy on this thing.

I also like the 4-stroke motor.
    No more mixing gas & oil, at least for that.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've had 2 Echos each for 20+ years without any serious issues. You will find several Stihl fans on here as well. I think you would do well with either one. IMO, straight shaft is the way to go. They tend to be more durable and can take attachments like brush cutting blades. You will probably never see a professional using a curved shaft.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Look at the 36v Makitas power head. Then you can also buy the 4 stroke and interchange attachments

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You may already do this, but it must be pointed out that always running treated gas in your string trimmer is as important as the brand you buy, if not more so. Adding a fuel additive such as Stabil brand or similar is what I'm talking about. Doing that will have a significant impact on your trimmer's longevity.

Everybody in the room knows I'm a Stihl fanboy, but for some reason I've always gone cheap on my string trimmers. I just don't have a lot of edging to do so I've had trouble spending more money on a orange one. My last two have been Lowes (now Home Depot) Troy Bilt 2-stroke straight shaft. I put good gas in it, it starts on a couple pulls and runs strong. I had to adjust the idle down a bit when I got the current one broken in. I have the sidewalk edger attachment that does what it's supposed to. The trimmer sits in the garage year round and I have found it will start next spring (because of the gas I run in it). I got 4 or 5 years out of the last one, $150.

YMMV.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I run the S*** out of my Stihl. I start it and pretty much run it wide open on the tree lines and fence rows for 5 minutes at a time. 6 years with this one and im not easy on tools.... Im that guy that if it can be broken im pretty rough on stuff.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Have a Stihl with a straight shaft for about 15 years for the heavy work. The better half uses a Worx battery operated for around the house for the last 2 years. We have 7 acres and woods. Very impressed with the Worx. Stihl is very good. I have some Echo products that I would rate right up there with Stihl.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    We got a Milwaukee 18V battery string trimmer this year. I've had a number of gas-powered trimmers, most recently a Stihl, and I'm a huge fan of the new Milwaukee so far. No mixing gas, pulling starter ropes, or tinkering with small engines.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a buddy that has a Christmas tree farm. He has always used Echo. I inherited an Echo and it is superior to the Husqvarna I used to have. I say "stay with the one what's brung ya".

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You may already do this, but it must be pointed out that always running treated gas in your string trimmer is as important as the brand you buy, if not more so. Adding a fuel additive such as Stabil brand or similar is what I'm talking about. Doing that will have a significant impact on your trimmer's longevity.
    I've never added any additives to my craftsman. Good ol 87 octane and 2 stroke oil. Always run it out of fuel before winter, but that is it for me.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have had a 40V Kobalt for probably eight years, no issues either. The wife does all the trimming. It is light weight and runs every single time.

Top Bottom