• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hey guys, I was looking for some input on what I am going to need for a hiking trip a buddy and I are going on in a few weeks. Were going to be hiking the Hoosier National Forest for a few days, and I have been back and forth on what backpack I should take. I can either go buy a new one for the exact needs I will have on this trip, or use my Eddie Bauer hiking backpack for the trip. Its frameless and looks like they typical backpack except the bottom unzips and extends out for a lot more storage. Were going to make things light on this trip because we plan on doing more hiking and sight seeing than sitting around and just camping. I'm probably going to take a few meals with us, and were planning on either catching the rest of our meals or just going hungry :noway:. The backpack is very comfortable to carry with a heavy load, so I figured this would make the trip a lot better for me. My friend will be carrying the tent so don't have to worry about that :rockwoot:. Whats your guy's opinions on a few days of hiking with a backpack like this. Anyone done it? Am I foolish for even thinking of trying it? Just wanted some input. Thanks!

Also, this is what the backpack kind of looks like:
    Boulder Backpack

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    Depends on if you are going to be staying at a "base camp" and just hiking out from there each day or if you will be "backpacking". The pack in the photo should be good up to about 20lbs, much more than that wouldn't be comfortable due to the lack of hip belt. Much of your weight depends on what gear and the type of gear you are taking. What kind of stove are you taking? Clothing? Food? Water and filter? Water is going to be one of the heaviest items you carry at 2.2lbs per liter. I wouldn't buy a new pack unless you are going to get into backpacking. I have a 70 liter pack and it can comfortably carry up to about 50lbs, I try to keep my pack around 35lbs unless I am going on a week long trip.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ditto to a above. Without hip weight you are not going far with that with much weight.

Now if you are doing the 1/4 mile in from the road and keep stuff in the trunk you will be fine for day hikes with that pack.

If you are taking camp with you each day not going to work well.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The backpack is very comfortable to carry with a heavy load

Over what terrain have you carried what load with it?

More has certainly been done with less many times, but as far as packs go it looks bottom tier. Regardless, a few days hiking in good weather within an hour's walk from civilization is not something that needs to send a person into a gear buying frenzy.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the input guys. Were going to be taking our camp with us each day. Basically this is a hiking/survival trip. Were out there to enjoy ourselves, but also to see if we can do it with minimal gear. I guess a better question would be would this be a decent 3 day bag, or at least be able to carry the minimum for 3 days. I should have specified that in the OP. Were going into the woods prepared with gear for the woods, but it's also going to try and test our skills in the woods. The hiking is going to be mixed between roads, trails, and then just the woods. Mine does have the waist strap that is padded, so that provides extra support than the one I linked to.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I like using the Jack Bauer backpack. It holds a lot of ammo and with some judicious use of a chainsaw, you can fit 1.25 terrorists inside.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Go to rei and try on a bunch of macro maker packs (osprey, rei, deuter, ect.) and buy one used on backpackinglight.com EE or craigslist. The trick is figuring out how much space you need first.

Or just go get a hellcat Alice from tonys tactical.

Your trip will be uncomfortable with a bag that isn't right. Load them up and walk in the evening a few nights before to test it out.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    All of my backpacks have hip belts. I do have a very small day pack that doesn't, but really it's for a bottle of water my camera etc. when I split of a camp site for an hour or so hike.
    The problem with the pack that you've shown is doesn't really have any adjustments. So you're going to carry whatever weight in the same way the whole time. After an hour or two that's gonna get heavy.
    For the money REI makes some really nice packs. If you start exploring you might find a pack that you better. I really like my Gregory packs.
    What's the worst that can happen? Go out with the pack as shown and see how it goes, but don't be surprised if you come to the conclusion that it's not as comfortable as you first thought it would be.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    The above points are all valid. Will that pack work for you for a few days? Depends on what you are taking with you gear wise. What are you using for cooking? What are you using for water carrying and purification? What food are you taking? What are you sleeping in/on? Is your buddy taking a larger pack? Is he carrying a tent? Or is this a trip where you will only take the bare minimum and try and "survive". If so then you may be able to fit everything.

I have used a 2200 cubic inch camelbak pack before for three days. I used it during the summer, slept in a hammock, didn't need a sleeping bag or extra insulation, took a small pot to boil water, used a very small and light alcohol stove and took lightweight food.

Can it be done? Sure if you have the right gear. Can it be done without it? Sure, but it might not be nearly as comfortable. If you are going to be hiking in an area where you can return to the car if it turns into a suck fest then no harm done. You mentioned you are going in a few weeks, it may still be cold at night then, it may not. Something to think about and plan for.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I find that I learn best by trial an error. Are you tough or interested in becoming tough? If so, take the daypack. I think it is less pack than you will want to have, but it should be warm enough that you will not die if you are wrong. Bring some rain gear. With a pack that size, I definitely recommend packing a water filter instead of humping water (With any sized pack in Indiana I recommend packing a water filter over two days worth of water).

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    That pack looks fairly small. When I was looking for long day hike packs, I decided to get something that I could use for one, maybe two, nights of camping as well. I ended up going with an external/internal frame pack though in most hiking/backpacking photos I see, the current trend is the narrow width, tall length style backpacks. Mine holds a small first aid kit, two lunch bags each with their own water bottles (gotta carry my wife's if she goes!), a large water bottle on the side, and plenty of room for water filtration stuff, compass, maps, GPS, survival gear (mirrors, whistle, flare gun), and a few extra water bottles. It is pretty full at that point, but being a framed pack, I have room on the bottom and top for sleeping bag/tent if needed. The wife will never overnight camp, though I might sometime in the future. Taking out all the stuff for her, I would likely only have enough from for additional food/cooking and clothing for one night, maybe two, of camping. If I were going to go on multiple day camping trips, I would likely go two sizes up to make space a non-issue. Mine is currently a 40-liter made by High Sierra.

Top Bottom