• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I have been thinking about picking up the materials to DuraCoat some things myself. Anyone have experience with doing things themselves? It will cost about $150 each handgun and I could get the materials for around $100 and do multiple guns and whatever else I wanted to coat.

Thanks
    Nick

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I've done it a few times. The only advice I can give you would be to treat yourself to one of those hobby air compressors/airgun kits. The cheap ones you get from Lauer with the cans of propellant are cheezy and don't work so well. They extra dollars you spend on the pump system will be well worth it.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I have a airbrush kit on the way and already have a compressor, so I am good there. Any advice on actually applying the DuraCoat? I was looking on a site and it didn't say how long to wait between coats.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You'll get instructions from Lauer, but I recommend to wait at least 3 hours between coats if you don't bake it. Overnight would be better, but impractical due to the pot life of the hardener.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've done it a few times. The only advice I can give you would be to treat yourself to one of those hobby air compressors/airgun kits. The cheap ones you get from Lauer with the cans of propellant are cheezy and don't work so well. They extra dollars you spend on the pump system will be well worth it.
    Are you talking about an airbrush system?

Oops, sorry, slow poster.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    You'll get instructions from Lauer, but I recommend to wait at least 3 hours between coats if you don't bake it. Overnight would be better, but impractical due to the pot life of the hardener.

Ill have to check out their site, compare prices and what not. I'm sure Ill have more questions once I actually get going on this.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Proper prep is really the key. Degrease the hell out of it. Start with brake cleaner, then take that off with Simple Green. Dry it very well before you start spraying. You'll only need one or 2 coats, just be very careful not to apply too much at one time.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Proper prep is really the key. Degrease the hell out of it. Start with brake cleaner, then take that off with Simple Green. Dry it very well before you start spraying. You'll only need one or 2 coats, just be very careful not to apply too much at one time.

Yah Ill try and do more light coats then getting it done quicker.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    As far as degreasing it, I would use denatured alcohol. Every time I use brake cleaner my part sweats. This may be why he recommended Simple Green. I haven't Dura-coated anything, but I have refinished several firearms and the alcohol works great.

Get yourself some latex or nitrile gloves too. Make sure you dont handle the parts with oily hands after they are clean and degreased.

If you wanna bring it all the way to Greenfield I can blast if for you and the Dura-Coat will stick better.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    As far as degreasing it, I would use denatured alcohol. Every time I use brake cleaner my part sweats. This may be why he recommended Simple Green. I haven't Dura-coated anything, but I have refinished several firearms and the alcohol works great.

Get yourself some latex or nitrile gloves too. Make sure you dont handle the parts with oily hands after they are clean and degreased.

If you wanna bring it all the way to Greenfield I can blast if for you and the Dura-Coat will stick better.

+1 on this. I had this done to my Bersa before it was coated and it worked wonders. I also had a couple AR parts blasted before I coated them and it made a world of difference.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle

I might take you up on that, I think a friend that lives closer has a blaster :D

Probably picking the P6 up tonight so Ill see what needs to be done.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I duracoated my kimber a couple years ago. The above advice is all good.

I would add to be careful not to put too thick of a coat on any moving metal to metal surface areas that are already a tight fit. I put a bit too thick of a coat on the rails on the frame of the Kimber and the slide wouldnt fit back on untill I polished the rails down.

I did intentionally put a thick coat on the exterior of the slide and frame to help with wear on the gun and it has held up very nicely with no visible holster wear since application.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I decided that I wasn't going to make this a "perfect" job since I will most likely be carrying and shooting this gun a lot. So I finished it just enough to where it looked good to me :) Just waiting on my grips now

Before:
    DSC01244.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

After:
    DSC01258.jpg

DSC01257.jpg

DSC01256.jpg

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Looks decent enough, but I have to ask, did you take the slide off when you sprayed the thing? The angle of the last pic looks like you taped it (and poorly at that).

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Looks decent enough, but I have to ask, did you take the slide off when you sprayed the thing? The angle of the last pic looks like you taped it (and poorly at that).

Angle was just weird. You can see it better in the first picture that it was taken apart. I noticed that too, but the camera died just after I took the picture and Im too lazy to charge the battery then re do it all :)

Top Bottom