• ...and so much more!
  • bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Maybe some of you knew this…

So I recently had the opportunity to purchase a new VSKA AKM with a forged trunnion for a good price. Shots like a dream and it’s not like I plan to put 10000 rounds though it. Heck, I have a Glock I’ve had for 20+ years and I doubt I have anywhere close to that… Anyways… I was criticized for picking it up because it’s not up to the standards of the AK snobs. Then I was told I should have picked up the new DPMS Anvil. With a long winded discussion on how I was going to pick up a PSA AKM but this one came along I got the… PSA sucks, their AKM’s and AR ar subpar. If you wanted American made I would have ordered a DPMS etc. with a little research and a TX, I found out what I thought was true, DPMS and PSA are basically the same company and manufacturing since DPMS was bought by JJE Capital Holdings in the Remington bankruptcy. I was told that the Anvil is just a PSA with a DPMS stamp and that is the same with the AR’s.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Maybe some of you knew this…

So I recently had the opportunity to purchase a new VSKA AKM with a forged trunnion for a good price. Shots like a dream and it’s not like I plan to put 10000 rounds though it. Heck, I have a Glock I’ve had for 20+ years and I doubt I have anywhere close to that… Anyways… I was criticized for picking it up because it’s not up to the standards of the AK snobs. Then I was told I should have picked up the new DPMS Anvil. With a long winded discussion on how I was going to pick up a PSA AKM but this one came along I got the… PSA sucks, their AKM’s and AR ar subpar. If you wanted American made I would have ordered a DPMS etc. with a little research and a TX, I found out what I thought was true, DPMS and PSA are basically the same company and manufacturing since DPMS was bought by JJE Capital Holdings in the Remington bankruptcy. I was told that the Anvil is just a PSA with a DPMS stamp and that is the same with the AR’s.
    I was under the impression that PSA rifles are being made in South Carolina and DPMS in Alabama.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    I was under the impression that PSA rifles are being made in South Carolina and DPMS in Alabama.
    I thought so as well, DPMS is now in South Carolina. I guess technically maybe they meant made by the parent company. But they gave me the impression that they are the same…both headquarters are now in South Carolina. One Columbia SC the other West Columbia SC. PSA started to make AKM’s in 2019 and as soon as JJE Holdings took over DPMS they started marketing the Anvil AKM. Ffl manufacturing license has the same address PSA. IMG_1709.png

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Well all I know is this, my PSA I got in 2012 isn’t the prettiest of guns, but I have beat the snot out of it in 3 Gun competitions and probably 2-3k rounds per year though it without any issue. Weird thing is, compared to my YHM AR, my PSA will eat laquered steel cased ammo no issues, my YHM, does not like it. Which I don’t shoot much steel but good to know in a pinch.

Now I did change out my PSA gas tube to a Lewis machine and tool brand one after I kinked the original while being stupid

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well all I know is this, my PSA I got in 2012 isn’t the prettiest of guns, but I have beat the snot out of it in 3 Gun competitions and probably 2-3k rounds per year though it without any issue. Weird thing is, compared to my YHM AR, my PSA will eat laquered steel cased ammo no issues, my YHM, does not like it. Which I don’t shoot much steel but good to know in a pinch.

Now I did change out my PSA gas tube to a Lewis machine and tool brand one after I kinked the original while being stupid
    Obviously the gas tube is what made it reliable. :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is all JJE. We are JJE now.

Given all the stupid scare videos that Guntubers are doing I wonder why guntube is not concerned about JJE?

1. Guntubers are owned by JJE.

2. Guntubers do not understand financing or business organizations.

3. Both.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

*shrug* PSA knows its market and drills that gas port big.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I thought so as well, DPMS is now in South Carolina. I guess technically maybe they meant made by the parent company. But they gave me the impression that they are the same…both headquarters are now in South Carolina. One Columbia SC the other West Columbia SC. PSA started to make AKM’s in 2019 and as soon as JJE Holdings took over DPMS they started marketing the Anvil AKM. Ffl manufacturing license has the same address PSA. View attachment 307919

It is because they guntubers are too busy taking selfies and selling t-shirts instead of reading business journals.

JJE bought DPMS (and others) out of the Remington bankruptcy three years ago.

PSA is only one of the hand puppets of JJE. JJE is positioning itself into being the dominant gun maker in the USA and very few shooters know who they are, lol.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN

This isn’t surprising. Could be tighter clearance, especially a tighter chamber. Im guessing the Lewis machine has both tighter clearances and tolerances. More precise tolerance is always better. With clearance you want a little room for moving parts to interact without hanging up ie why AKs are so reliable. One of the quickest ways to an anecdotal test is hold an AR to the light and see how much light is let’s through between the upper and lower. At lot of high end brands their clearance is so little there’s no light. It’s also usually harder to pull the pins out haha. Anyways the moral of the story is the super expensive and tight fitting 1911s and ARs aren’t necessarily more reliable, may be less reliable.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I knew about the merger but had no idea AAC was involved. The cans they make with the offset chambers so you can use stock sights are great as well as the Salvo for 12ga.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    There are gun snobs everywhere. I have a 30 year old Keltec P32 with over 1000 rounds through it with no problems. My recently acquired Kahr CM9 has proven perfectly reliable over more than 600 rounds with no failures. Lots of haters for both.

Top Bottom