does anyone else think the indiana gun hunting laws are crazy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    To stick with the OP question, yes I agree they are rediculous! A couple of us were talking the other day and came up with a pretty decent idea. A $100 Hunting License that covers anything and everything. Keep the bag limits and hunting seasons as is... but for $100 you should be able to hunt with whatever you wish (shotgun, bow, muzzle, rifle, ect.) and be able to take whatever you like (duck, goose, small game, large game, ect.) instead of having to purchase a seperate deer tag, waterfowl federal stamp, turkey stamp, so on and so on... It would make it A LOT easier than having to re-read the DNR guidebook a thousand times to figure out what you can and cannot do and when you can and cannot do it.

That's a great idea except for the state. Since March I bought; Spring turkey, Waterfowl, Hunt/fish combo, 4 deer tags plus the the stamps for the waterfowl and turkey license. That is well over $100.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ok bring on the neg rep, but i like the gun restrictions. i think if folks were alowed to use rifles like the 308 etc you would have alot of people who would take 500 yd shots without any pratice just because the 308 is capable of ethically killing a deer at 500 with ease doesn't mean its easy to do. it absolutly sickens me when folks wound deer by not preparing for season and i think the inclusion of guns like the 308 would double the problem.

now i will shoot 275-300 yds with a muzzleloader wich alot of people think is unethicel, but its not like go out and in one day of shooting think i can do that. any shot i take on a deer ive taken on paper atleast 30-40 times that year so i know what the bullet will do at x range. id just hate to see more deer wounded because joe blow buys a 308 bore sights it and reads a chart on the back of the box and goes hunting. not that it doesn't happen with current deer guns but i think it would be worse

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I hate it and it does not make much sense. I go to TX every year and happily get to shoot a 270 at any deer I see. With the new rifled slug barrels and ammo, not sure it would make a whole bunch of difference. At least it doesn't in my eyes. Thoughts?

If it didn't make any difference you wouldn't be so upset about would you.

If you can't tell much difference between a 270 and a shotgun, even with a rifled barrel, it probably wouldn't make much difference in your hands.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    OK, I know this thread is a little old, but since I read all of the posts and didn't see the REAL reason Indiana limits us to ridiculous, short-to-medium-range cartridges, I actually decided to join, just so I could post and maybe irritate a few people. (That seems to be part of the game on this forum?)

When the modern deer hunting season was established, in 1951, the greater concern was limiting the overall harvest. In fact, there was some question about whether or not there would be a season in 1952, because folks were worried too many would be killed and the herd would not continue to grow. This, more than anything, was what led to regulations concerning long-range rifles being used. Somewhere along the line, this was converted into a public safety issue, but that is truly absurd. If you analyze data from states/regions that require short-range firearms and compare it with places that have no such restrictions, the number of accidental shootings/fatalities does not support the logic. Really dumb people, or a really bad mistake, is what causes these accidents, not long-range rifles.

Wisconsin and Michigan both see roughly 1 million gun hunters in the field, each fall. If you think Hoosier National has a lot of hunters, you should see the number of blaze orange blobs moving through their woods in November! Both states have areas that allow long-range rifles and areas with caliber restrictions. There is no evidence that it is "safer", for hunters or local residents, in either area.

I understand that politicians take great joy in controlling the masses by passing legislation that robs us of our right to make sound decisions and exercise good judgment, but why, OH WHY, do so many intelligent people embrace these laws?! If hunting to within 10 feet is what winds your clock, grab a .357 and climb a tree, but don't claim it is safer to use a less-accurate, lower-powered round, or try to blame "joe blow" for how "dangerous" a .270 Winchester is!

Tell the truth: Indiana laws are there to restrict harvest and make politicians feel like they are protecting us from ourselves. Personally, I take responsibility for my own actions and know that a 44mag rifle is no less dangerous than a 300WM, if the person using it is not doing so, safely.

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    If you could use 1 gun to hunt most every thing? Sales would be down on bows mussel loaders shotguns, handguns, rifles firing handgun shellsand ect. Gun makers would be bad and so would you because your gun safe would be empty.Also gun safes sales would be hurting. So the next time you open the door on your safe think about all the people you are putting to work.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    If you could use 1 gun to hunt most every thing? Sales would be down on bows mussel loaders shotguns, handguns, rifles firing handgun shellsand ect. Gun makers would be bad and so would you because your gun safe would be empty.Also gun safes sales would be hurting. So the next time you open the door on your safe think about all the people you are putting to work.
    :dunno:

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area

What?

In a perfect world I wouldn't NEED more than abour 4 guns total.

Defensive handgun
    Semi-auto high capacity rifle
    Bolt action or medium range rifle
    12 gauge shotgun

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    It makes no sense at all but I guess it keeps someone who knows nothing about guns and going to a gun shop and say I want to hunt deer this year give me that rifle right there. Then they go out and hunt with no practice.

bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I USE TO HUNT YELLOWWOOD . AT DAYLIGHT OPEN ING DAY SOMETIMES BEFORE LIGHT ALL HELL WOULD BREAK LOOSE.IT WAS BAD ENOUGH WITH SLUGS I'D HATE TO THINK WHAT WOULDV'E HAPPENED TO SOMEONE WITH RIFLES OR OTHER WEAPONS THERE

Denny L

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I have always found this crazy and I also asked about using a single shot shotgun during muzzleloading season Whats the difference same one shot and basic the same relaod now days.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have always found this crazy and I also asked about using a single shot shotgun during muzzleloading season Whats the difference same one shot and basic the same relaod now days.

If it's all the same to ya then just read the rules for hunting and follow them. Pretty simple I think. Not crazy at all. What is crazy is some one who can't tell any difference between using a muzzle loader and a shot gun thinking they should decide the rules for hunting.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Any legal weapon may be used for squirrel. Yes, my friend's BMG chambered rifle or crank operated "semi-automatic" browning M1919A4 are legal for squirrel.

Yeah but have you seen our squirrels??????

giantsquirrel.jpg

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I USE TO HUNT YELLOWWOOD . AT DAYLIGHT OPEN ING DAY SOMETIMES BEFORE LIGHT ALL HELL WOULD BREAK LOOSE.IT WAS BAD ENOUGH WITH SLUGS I'D HATE TO THINK WHAT WOULDV'E HAPPENED TO SOMEONE WITH RIFLES OR OTHER WEAPONS THERE

I hunt Kentucky's opening day of firearms and there is the same breaking loose you speak of, but there isn't the kind of human bloodletting you imagine.

I have a lot of property to hunt and wish I could use a rifle. Two of my busiest fields could offer 600+ yard shots. Confident to 150 or so with my slug gun, the pistol chambered rifle rule doesn't improve on that, so I feel handicapped.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I really don't see this as a "troll thread" as the rules state you need 50 quality post for the classifieds. I haven't looked at all his post but the ones I've seen have not been one liners. If he ends up selling his items and never returns then shame on me for taking his side. He posted up a thread worthy of discussion making it a quality post...imo.

Back on subject with the OP...I would love to take a deer with my Nagant!

"Quality posts"????

Sheesh, I'll never qualify.

Top Bottom