Do I need to replace my barrel? My muzzle device? Both are 5/8x24 but no fit....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Really chapped/frustrated here. Both my 300BLK barrel for a new pistol build and muzzle brake are both 5/8x24 thread yet for the life of me I can't get the two damn parts together. Go figure. I really have no idea if it's the barrel or the muzzle device. Neither of which I really want to deal with shipping back and rolling the dice to wait and see what part is wrong.

mBX2vNI.jpg

Won't fit. Seems the barrel dimensions are too large or the muzzle device dimensions too small.......

1lqA1PI.jpg

Muzzle device came with crush washer and some extra nut. The extra nut does fit my barrel just fine. In fact it goes on with what I'd almost consider to be too much ease. You can see it resting on the muzzle device in this photo as centered as I could get it....

NMTtFNJ.jpg

Just proof that the extra nut does indeed fit on my barrel, even though the muzzle device it came with does not.

So, what do you guys recommend? Replace the barrel? Replace the muzzle device? Send them to someone to re-thread it so I can use the items I have already purchased without having to roll the dice and pay money to send them back and chance the replacement still not working?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm guessing the muzzle device was mis-packaged. My thinking is ONLY a guess and I'd go to a lgs and/or hardware store and get the exact dimensions confirmed and go from there.
    I'd sure want mine right if I'm going to send projectiles down the barrel.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If the nut fits the barrel then it is OK.
    It appears from the pic the device is 1/2X28 so there is your issue.

That's what I was gonna say. Where did you buy the muzzle device? If possible, I'd return it and get the right one sent out. If not, sell it and buy correct one. Or do the obvious solution - buy correct muzzle device for the gun you have and buy the correct gun for the muzzle device that you already own. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's what I was gonna say. Where did you buy the muzzle device? If possible, I'd return it and get the right one sent out. If not, sell it and buy correct one. Or do the obvious solution - buy correct muzzle device for the gun you have and buy the correct gun for the muzzle device that you already own. :)

A good reason for another project.......:):

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    As it's been posted I also think the muzzle device is 1/2x28 and it was mis packaged or something. Good luck!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    As it's been posted I also think the muzzle device is 1/2x28 and it was mis packaged or something. Good luck!

When I saw what you were shipped I imagined it could have been my order. I would have immediately lost faith in the parts and company I was dealing with. When it comes to firearms I think EVERYONE should have their sh.t together.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I had a mis-packaged silencerco flash hider about a month ago. It happens. I ordered a 9/16x24 LH and they sent me a box with that thread on the outside, and a 1/2x28 hider inside. Fwiw their CS was great and had me a new one asap with return shipping.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I'm going to have to return this one. It doesn't appear to be the size as advertised but it also doesn't appear to be the more common size for most 223/556 AR15 rifles either. (I forget the size, it was mentioned in this thread but comparing to my original muzzle device on my last AR build it's still different).

I have no idea what size it actually is, I just know it doesn't fit on my barrel at all.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm going to have to return this one. It doesn't appear to be the size as advertised but it also doesn't appear to be the more common size for most 223/556 AR15 rifles either. (I forget the size, it was mentioned in this thread but comparing to my original muzzle device on my last AR build it's still different).

I have no idea what size it actually is, I just know it doesn't fit on my barrel at all.

You'll need to know the correct size to inform them. If you don't have a standard thread size they're just having to guess about sending you the correct one.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom