• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    This is of course a firearms group. But this particular sub group deals with Preparedness.

To that end I want to bring up distance estimates. In times of trouble we may not have our latest gadget for measuring distances. We all site our guns and bows at known ranges to better facilitate our groups or target skill set. When you MUST make a kill to eat dinner, how good are you?

When I was a kid we had to hunt to eat. There were no laser range finders. No scopes with mil dots. Our bows didn’t have sites, or cams. We used recurved bows, and 4 power scopes on our squirrel guns. If we were lucky enough to have a scope. This is where distance estimates comes in. If you can’t reliably judge distance from ~25 yards to ~300 yards, you are in trouble

There are many ways to learn this skill. Trust me, if you ever need it you will be thankful you did. Get in your tree stand and find out how far it is to the big oak, how far it is to the first corn row. Throw a tennis ball as far as you can, now use you’re bow site to hit it. Go to strange, to you ground, and place a flag, walk back to the woods and guess the distance. Measure it. See how close you come. With practice this becomes second nature, much like swing shooting. OK, nuff said. Do with my ramblings what you think.

Top Bottom