Did you register with the Selective Service?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I was reading a story on Fox News earlier about a tweet that was sent out by the Selective Sevice stating that anyone who was born male, even if they have transitioned to female, must register for the draft. That got me thinking about the rate of compliance for draft registration, and a quick google search yielded this:

https://hasbrouck.org/draft/compliance.html

The Selective Service System (SSS) claims that “compliance” with the draft registration law exceeds 90 percent. But what does that really mean? It turns out that the “compliance” reported by the SSS is the ratio of registrations on file to men of registration age (between their 18th and 26th birthdays). In other words, the SSS counts as “in compliance” everyone of registration age who has ever registered, even if they registered years late — after the age of prime eligibility for the draft, if there were to be a draft — and regardless of whether the address in the SSS database is current or was ever accurate.

The only purpose for the Selective Service System registration list is to deliver induction notices in the event of a draft. The only proper measure of compliance is, “For what percentage of would-be draftees does the SSS have a valid current postal mailing address, such that the government could prove to a Federal criminal jury, beyond a reasonable doubt, that an induction notice sent to that address was received by the intended recipient?” Although the SSS deliberately avoids researching this question, the spot data they occasionally release for this more relevant “compliance rate” is far too low for a draft to be politically salable, or enforceable:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I was reading a story on Fox News earlier about a tweet that was sent out by the Selective Sevice stating that anyone who was born male, even if they have transitioned to female, must register for the draft. That got me thinking about the rate of compliance for draft registration, and a quick google search yielded this:

https://hasbrouck.org/draft/compliance.html
    I’m glad the government finally figured out what a male is

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think it was when I was applying for my current job at the VA I had to include my SSS registration number. One of the attachments I sent them was my DD 214... but I still had to give them my SSS registration number.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I think it was when I was applying for my current job at the VA I had to include my SSS registration number. One of the attachments I sent them was my DD 214... but I still had to give them my SSS registration number.
    Thats interesting, one would think the VA would have easy access to them.
    Ive only had to provide my 214 twice to employeers. That was long ago.
    My younger son had to produce his for employment with Constellis. Both of my sons enlisted before there 18th birthday, I will ask my #2 tomorrow if he did register before meps. :dunno:

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Yep, registered as soon as they sent me the notice, late 90’s , sometime while I was 17.
    I wasn’t a citizen yet, but legal alien resident.
    Had to provide the number for naturalization, several times during college, several times since then, while applying for Fed jobs etc. Just had to provide it several months ago, don’t even remember why.
    They have a handy dandy website that finds your registration number, otherwise I lost it decades ago.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I registered as required.

Then I moved.

I never sent in a change of address.

The SSS sent me a letter, at my NEW address, telling me that I was required to submit my change of address. The letter told me where to get the form I was supposed to fill out, but they didn't include it with the letter.

There was a war going on in Vietnam when I registered.

Top Bottom