Desert Eagle 357/44 Conversion -- Anyone got this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    At the last 1500, I saw a Mark VII that could be run as either 357 or 44. Anyone care to share your experiences -- good or bad -- with these calibers? Also, what do extra mags go for?

Thanks!

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I had a 357 DE when they first came out ,Only liked 180 gr factory loads.It was pretty salty to shoot those for casual practice but I was going to get the conversion kit for it but it was stolen during a house break in & never recovered.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have a buddy that has one with the complete setup. He can run .357, .44, or .50. I know he said he has over $500 in mags alone. I think the mags run around $50 each. He's thinking of selling it. I would love to have it, but I am afraid to ask what the price would be for everything.

BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    Thanks for the replies! So far seems like .357 isn't the ideal caliber for a DE. I was mainly interested in it because it's the only other .357 autoloader I knew of besides a Coonan, and might be a little more accessible than a Coonan.

Any thoughts on how easy/difficult it is to convert from one caliber to another?

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    If you want a DE look at the mark I as it is supposed to be the most reliable for 357. The mark VII is considered the most reliable for 44 mag.

sawgunner74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    nwi
    To switch calibers in the mark 7 is expensive ,you have to change the bolt slide, barrel and mag.if you want to switch calibers get a mark 21 .it uses the same slide for all .357 .44 .50(21 is not made in .41) ,you just need barrel and mag(still about 400)if you want to go to .50 from .357 you will also need a bolt also.My advise is to avoid the desert eagle. they market interchangability but not the cost. look at what the conversion kits cost on magnum reaserch website (you could buy a nice 1911 for the price of a conversion),I have wanted one to work real bad ,ive had 4 over the years (all calibers but .440 corbon and .41 ae)and tried hard i could not get any of them to run.on the plus side if you buy them used (at a good price)to start out with you wont lose much money, if any if you trade or sell it.

Top Bottom