• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    According to Deer and Deer Hunting on NbcSports network (old Versus network) the Rut will kick in this year between October 31-November 7th.

They claim after 16 years of study that this year will be a synchronized rut. definition of a synchro rut is the time when the bucks and doe start producing testosterone and hormones which is typically around Oct-25 -Nov 1. When that aligns with a full moon which we will see on Oct 29 they claims the rut will explode 3 days after. They said if you can hunt between Oct 31 and Nov 6th that will be the best time.

After that, they claim bucks will bed down and breed between Nov 7-10.

Typically we have a classic rut which falls later in Nov they claim.

Interesting show...makes sense but I have no clue really. I hope I get a chance then at a good buck with my bow.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Caught that episode today as well. Interesting stuff. Charles Alsheimer really knows his stuff and has the credentials to back it up. I may schedule a day or two off this year around Halloween or the weekend after it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Dang! I took my vaca for the opening of gun season! Oh well, I guess I will have to dig out the old bow and start practicing! I haven't gone bow hunting for a couple of years now.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    LOL... Halloween has always been the witching day for starting to hunt in earnest. Nothing new there.

Moon phase stuff is fantasy stuff. Fawn drop studies have disproved that theory

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I have to agree with Willie. The rut generally happens the same time, year in and year out. When I first started hunting, I believed in early/normal/late ruts, but now know better. November 4-8 has always been, and always will be, the best time to catch bucks running does in Indiana. Warm weather may drive rutting activity after dark and away from hunters' prying eyes, but it still occurs on time nonetheless.

On the plus side, it appears that this year's prediction is dead-on. :D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A buck will stay in the rut from oct 15 to dec 15 or longer. Pre rut post rut ect.

That is until the receptive doe he is with turns her back to him. ( well turns her front to him ) While she is receptive to him he will dog her non stop and stay with her. As soon as she is done with him he will search out another receptive doe.

All doe'd up happens.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    LOL... Halloween has always been the witching day for starting to hunt in earnest. Nothing new there.

Moon phase stuff is fantasy stuff. Fawn drop studies have disproved that theory

Agreed! I've gotten a deer the last three Halloweens. Will definitely be out there on this one too!

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I can't believe it takes a television show to get people in the woods that time of year. I've killed my best 3 bucks the last 3 days in October. I don't care when the rut starts. I care when the big deer WANT the rut to start!

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I can't believe it takes a television show to get people in the woods that time of year. I've killed my best 3 bucks the last 3 days in October. I don't care when the rut starts. I care when the big deer WANT the rut to start!

Agreed. Do what I do and hunt every single day, and you won't miss out. :):

Seriously, I start hunting on October 1, and try to hunt every single day until I either fill the tags I want to fill, or season ends. I hunt every evening after work and weekends. I may miss the occasional day due to unforeseen circumstances or prior commitments, but those days are very few and far between. The biggest advantage to taking deer is TIME IN THE WOODS.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Agreed. Do what I do and hunt every single day, and you won't miss out. :):

Seriously, I start hunting on October 1, and try to hunt every single day until I either fill the tags I want to fill, or season ends. I hunt every evening after work and weekends. I may miss the occasional day due to unforeseen circumstances or prior commitments, but those days are very few and far between. The biggest advantage to taking deer is TIME IN THE WOODS.

yep....One cant kill them while sacked up. Hunt now, sleep when you're dead.....

Top Bottom