Danger of saying outrageous things in forums? really?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    We can still access it??

mind-blown.gif

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Or do all of your posting from a live linux disc. Or a flash drive if you must save your passwords and whatnot. A live CD/DVD would be best though, because anything you do will only be stored in RAM and will cease to exist after a reboot.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Upon your arrest, investigation begins (if not prior depending on the situation.) One source of finding evidence is social media. Once they locate your information there (either by looking up your name, number, whatever other info ties you to a specific profile, OR they will simply seize your personal computer and get direct access) then they will look deeper into what they find. If you've ever made reference to places such as INGO, whether by liking their page, sharing their posts, referencing material there, etc, they will further investigate things which can link you to the identity created there.

Once they do all this, obtaining warrants (if they find they even need that) to get much more personal/detailed information from the website's IP tracking software or from your ISP is easy which directly links you to the evidence they're seeking.

Just remember, for cyber investigators (anything you do online) there is no such thing as "anonymous." There is always a trail to follow which is easy for authorities to get. I know our local cyber crimes division has made arrest FAR across "the pond" based on following cyber trails.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Or do all of your posting from a live linux disc. Or a flash drive if you must save your passwords and whatnot. A live CD/DVD would be best though, because anything you do will only be stored in RAM and will cease to exist after a reboot.
    Of course, that is just the local computer.

Make sure your router isn't logging (almost all do) and possibly even caching. Same with your cable/dsl modem. Of course, after that it is mostly out of your control. Your ISP is most certainly logging, and possibly caching. If you are using 3rd party services (Google, iCloud, etc...), they are storing all kinds of interesting bits. If you do not log into Google, they still have uniquely identified your computer in their system, and are tracking your searches.

Even if you only use public networks, your MAC address is still unique (enough), unless you "spoof" it.

Simply put, you are not anonymous on the Internet. Especially not to any government entity (Law Enforcement or otherwise).

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Something else to think about is using the same username in multiple forums and online places. I recently discovered that one of my friends is far out there. I Googled his user name and was appalled at the different twisted sites this person is a member of.

This self proclaimed genius used the same screen name on pages that his real name is used. It didn't take me long to identify him. It was pretty stupid on his part.

I've always been taught to never put anything in writing that could be used against me.

Not always effective. Google just shows usage of the same name, not who's actually behind it. I google myself regularly and the most of what I find depicts me as a professor in Arizona, lol. Other oddities come up with my username as well, but that name, which is also an email account, has been hacked countless times, granting access to who knows what sort of information from years ago when I actually used it as my sole email. Now, I just use it as a junk email (email account where I think the information might be obtained by people whom I don't want to have it, sold, etc.) Most of what goes to it is spam, which amounts to hundreds of junk emails a day. While my professional emails are pretty much clean and spam free.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Upon your arrest, investigation begins (if not prior depending on the situation.) One source of finding evidence is social media. Once they locate your information there (either by looking up your name, number, whatever other info ties you to a specific profile, OR they will simply seize your personal computer and get direct access) then they will look deeper into what they find. If you've ever made reference to places such as INGO, whether by liking their page, sharing their posts, referencing material there, etc, they will further investigate things which can link you to the identity created there.

Once they do all this, obtaining warrants (if they find they even need that) to get much more personal/detailed information from the website's IP tracking software or from your ISP is easy which directly links you to the evidence they're seeking.

Just remember, for cyber investigators (anything you do online) there is no such thing as "anonymous." There is always a trail to follow which is easy for authorities to get. I know our local cyber crimes division has made arrest FAR across "the pond" based on following cyber trails.

Don't forget, that trail can lead the police to the old lady that lives next store when you piggyback off of her WIFI and not end well for her

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    You do realize that none of the above will stop a forensic analyst, right? Right?

Deleted, then overwritten 35 passes? No detective with a copy of Recuva on a thumb drive is going to put it back together, that's for sure. I have been researching this online all morning.

Speaking of t-frost, has he been heard from lately? I haven't seen a post from him in a long time....... How did his court case go? does anyone know?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I learned a long time ago to anonymize and compartmentalize my online stuff from each other. So my interests are "grouped." I am shibumiseeker on all gun and gun related fora. I have a different name on other interest groups I am a member of. I really don't care about the "use in court" angle because tracking down every one of my several usernames across different interest groups is relatively simple even without a search of my computer.

What I care about is the random whacko who takes offense at something I post and decides(s)he wants to try to mess with me in real life because of some perceived online slight. I'm not really concerned about someone coming to my house since they'd have to prove especially stupid to try that given where and how I live, but there are other ways people will try to mess with you, and in the distant past I had one person try to get my wife fired, and in another case I had an EMA director of another county try to screw up my relationship with the EMA director in my county because he took offense at my pointing out he was an idiot to the county commissioners so he went online to dig dirt to use against me. Luckily the EMA director in my county just told him to **** off.

While THOSE people still can track down my online persona (I don't hide it deep and there are many people here who know me IRL), I am not going to just hand it to the troublemakers.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Deleted, then overwritten 35 passes? No detective with a copy of Recuva on a thumb drive is going to put it back together, that's for sure. I have been researching this online all morning.

Speaking of t-frost, has he been heard from lately? I haven't seen a post from him in a long time....... How did his court case go? does anyone know?

And your internet provider? They still have info. Melt your computer down, and there is still a trail.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Something else to think about is using the same username in multiple forums and online places. I recently discovered that one of my friends is far out there. I Googled his user name and was appalled at the different twisted sites this person is a member of.

This self proclaimed genius used the same screen name on pages that his real name is used. It didn't take me long to identify him. It was pretty stupid on his part.

I've always been taught to never put anything in writing that could be used against me.
    I use the same username on all forums, simply because I don't make statements that I shouldn't on the internet. I know a lot of people personally on most forums and do not wish to try and be anonymous. I'd rather people know who I am when I am having a discussion with them. UNLESS ITS A COP!!!!:ar15:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Well good for you (no purple), but not everyone is savvy as you and for those people things can be traced.

Top Bottom