• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The GF and I are strictly amateur bicyclists and have this notion of biking the Florida Keys. I know that they are working on a trail connecting Key Largo with Key West but haven't been able to come up with any up to date info on trail progress or completion dates. Anybody know of any cycling forums that might be able to provide needed info? I've found a few recent reviews of the trail and like anything on the internet there is a glowing review adjacent to a total pan so I'm hoping to find and "official" website that has current info.

TIA!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Hadn't thought of Tripadvisor, thanks for the link! I think they call them hybrid bikes, not MTB but more of an upright riding position than a road bike. Life keeps getting in the way so we don't get many miles in, we did 20 last night and are working our way up slowly to a 60-75 mile day. I figure that distance thru the hills around Mooresville should prep us nicely for the relatively flat terrain of the Keys. It looks like it has a completion date of late '16 or early '17 dependent on who you believe which works out perfect for my pending graduation fall '16 or spring '17. Really looking forward to it as I used to live in Key West and I've always said the best part of a visit to Key West is the trip thru the Keys. I imagine it will be greatly improved from the saddle!!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    What is your avg speed? Not saying upping mileage is bad, but depending on your speed 75 miles is going to take a long while. If you focus on gaining speed now those longer rides will go easier in the long run.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What is your avg speed? Not saying upping mileage is bad, but depending on your speed 75 miles is going to take a long while. If you focus on gaining speed now those longer rides will go easier in the long run.

Right now we're averaging about 10 mph but we literally haven't been on them in almost 1 1/2 years so I don't think we're doing too terribly. Both of us are carrying around more weight than we should so hopefully by the time we head down there we'll be averaging 15 mph easily and carrying less weight.

I've been up and down that highway, haven't seen a ******* thing, maybe 50 times so we're probably going to take 3-4 days to ride down just to take time to stop and enjoy the scenery more. I've learned that life isn't so much about getting from point A to point B as fast as you can any more. Point B is inevitible so there's really no sense in speeding it up!

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hadn't thought of Tripadvisor, thanks for the link! I think they call them hybrid bikes, not MTB but more of an upright riding position than a road bike. Life keeps getting in the way so we don't get many miles in, we did 20 last night and are working our way up slowly to a 60-75 mile day. I figure that distance thru the hills around Mooresville should prep us nicely for the relatively flat terrain of the Keys. It looks like it has a completion date of late '16 or early '17 dependent on who you believe which works out perfect for my pending graduation fall '16 or spring '17. Really looking forward to it as I used to live in Key West and I've always said the best part of a visit to Key West is the trip thru the Keys. I imagine it will be greatly improved from the saddle!!

Awesome! Living in Cayo Hueso. How did you swing that? As an undergrad some buddies and I used to hook up with some girls from the college of nursing (Buckeyes all) and go there for break because we hated the crowds in places like Lauderdale. Always loved it. Snorkeling, fishing, good food and beautiful surroundings. We always used to stay at the Pier House. Good times good memories. I think you'll have a vacation to remember.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Right now we're averaging about 10 mph but we literally haven't been on them in almost 1 1/2 years so I don't think we're doing too terribly. Both of us are carrying around more weight than we should so hopefully by the time we head down there we'll be averaging 15 mph easily and carrying less weight.

I've been up and down that highway, haven't seen a ******* thing, maybe 50 times so we're probably going to take 3-4 days to ride down just to take time to stop and enjoy the scenery more. I've learned that life isn't so much about getting from point A to point B as fast as you can any more. Point B is inevitible so there's really no sense in speeding it up!

As far as riding for fitness, an average speed of 15 is the over/under for the ride being aerobic exercise. If you don't already have 'em, toe cages are worth the effort, they let your legs do work on the upstroke as well as the down.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Awesome! Living in Cayo Hueso. How did you swing that? As an undergrad some buddies and I used to hook up with some girls from the college of nursing (Buckeyes all) and go there for break because we hated the crowds in places like Lauderdale. Always loved it. Snorkeling, fishing, good food and beautiful surroundings. We always used to stay at the Pier House. Good times good memories. I think you'll have a vacation to remember.

I'm an Army brat, my dad was stationed down there for 3 years, he was primarily a paper pusher having (re)-enlisted at the ripe old age of 33 during Viet Nam. He had been drafted out of high school and sent to Germany in '58 where he met the mother, came home, got out and then went back in in '67. Fortunately due to his age when he went to 'Nam he calculated fire missions from a well fortified bunker and never had to leave the compound. I guess over the years he made the right connections and they decided to reward him by sending him to the Keys for a "hardship" tour!:rockwoot:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still new to riding but it's more about cadence than speed. 60 rpm is a smooth comfortable ride for most, which would normally translate to about 10mph. For a better workout you want to be in the 80-90 rpm which would normally translate to about 14-16 mph for most. At least that's my conclusion after reading and researching online. I'm not sure where I am candece wise because I don't have a sensor yet, but I avg are 15mph give or take.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A lot of people get pretty geeked out on cadence, heart rate, calories, etc. When it all comes down to it, on a nice road bike when I'm in ok shape, 20-22 mph is a work out. 17-19 mph is a good pace over distance, 15 mph is an easy ride. On that same bike when I haven't put in any miles in a few months, you can reduce those speeds by 2-3 mph. I don't get any deeper into the weeds than that. To me, at some point, there's only so much the extra knowledge is going to give you at a given skill level, just like shooting. I might know more about external ballistics than Carlos Hathcock, but there's no way I'm as good a shot as he was. Same deal with equipment. Put Lance Armstrong on a $200 Walmart bike, and he'll run me into the ground on my $2500 BH. To me, just ride the dang thing, put a ton of miles in, do some sprints for speed gain, and most of all, enjoy yourself. It's a great hobby.

We we took our honeymoon in Key West at the Ocean Key resort. We loved it. Ate a lot of conch fritters, spent some evenings on sunset pier, rode down us hwy 1 on a rented scooter. Good memories.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I am unfamiliar with the bicycle trail but have taken this trip in the car. I would not be interested in doing it on a bicycle. Heat. Little shade. Have to carry plenty of water. Straight ride. Unchanging view: water, water, and more water. I think it would be a boring journey toward heat stroke. YMMV.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still new to riding but it's more about cadence than speed. 60 rpm is a smooth comfortable ride for most, which would normally translate to about 10mph. For a better workout you want to be in the 80-90 rpm which would normally translate to about 14-16 mph for most. At least that's my conclusion after reading and researching online. I'm not sure where I am candece wise because I don't have a sensor yet, but I avg are 15mph give or take.

Yep. Speed is just an easily measured marker thats not equipment intensive.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I am unfamiliar with the bicycle trail but have taken this trip in the car. I would not be interested in doing it on a bicycle. Heat. Little shade. Have to carry plenty of water. Straight ride. Unchanging view: water, water, and more water. I think it would be a boring journey toward heat stroke. YMMV.

Surprising to hear from "Capt Bligh"! Our mileage WILL vary, stop and smell the rotting seaweed, you don't know what you're missing!

Top Bottom