• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm gonna be starting a long range rifle build in the near future. I'm starting with a plain jain Savage 110 in 30-06. I want to keep it that caliber but want a heavier match grade barrel. Any recommendations I can check out? This isn't a real high budget project, but not real low either.

Thanks in advance.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Check out SharpShootersSupply.com. They have barrels you can order already chambered and threaded and with a few tools, you could change yourself. I also recommend their trigger if your looking for a replacement as well. I put one in my .223 and it made a huge difference.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Brownell's (which is a one of our advertisers here) has them in-stock and complete instructions plus a tech line to help you achieve your goal!

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I was keeping McGowen and Shilen 30-06 varmint barrels in stock, chambered with my PTG 30-06 Match reamer - but haven't had any demand in about a year.

Pricing is on the website. Tool rentals (action wrench/barrel wrench/headspacing gauges) are available as well.

I've got a 10 twist McGowen on a personal rifle, great combination with a 24-26" varmint contour barrel and a McMillan HTG.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I was keeping McGowen and Shilen 30-06 varmint barrels in stock, chambered with my PTG 30-06 Match reamer - but haven't had any demand in about a year.

Pricing is on the website. Tool rentals (action wrench/barrel wrench/headspacing gauges) are available as well.

I've got a 10 twist McGowen on a personal rifle, great combination with a 24-26" varmint contour barrel and a McMillan HTG.

The combo that you have now sounds alot like what I'm wanting to do. Although I'm thinking a 22" barrel cause I want to be able to thread it for a flashider/suppressor.

Any chance I can see a pic of yours? The varmint contour is I believe what I'm looking for. I want something heavier than the original, but not a full bull barrel. Can you still get the barrels from either of those makers?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    No problem sourcing barrels from either supplier, or building off somebody else's blank if you have a preference.

Here's my 26" varmint contour, McMillan HTG, EGW rail, Sharpshooter trigger, McGowen 1/10 twist using PTG's 30-06 Match chamber.

Savage30-06.jpg

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    A few years ago I talked to savage. I wanted a 116 action and a heavy barrel in338 ultra mag, and thay done for a few more bucks than a base 116. It was a 24" barrel.

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Another vote for sharpshooter supply. I had them do some work on a stock .22-250 a few years ago. Started the basic heavy stainless and Fred worked it over. It's now a tack driver.

They'll do the work for you or they'll sell the parts and help you through it.

Bk

Top Bottom