• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    So I do almost all of the cooking for the family, and with the move coming up, and all the projects that we will be undertaking once we move I don't think I will have much time to dedicate to cooking this spring into early summer. This has me wanting to explore more crock pot type meals. Anybody have a recommendation for a cook recipe book for crock pot meals? Preferably one focused on complete meals, or simple meals. I am not looking for one to tell me to put chicken and bbq sauce in and turn it on, nor am I looking for one that has 2 hours of prep time for its recipes.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    If you can make it in an oven, you can cook it in a crockpot. Just takes 5-8 hours depending on the heat setting you use.

Most of the foodie/recipe sites have great slow cooker meals included in their searches.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My wife and some other ladies from church got together and put freezer meals together. Some were good and some not so much.

They were supposed to be just open the bag and pour into the crock pot. Omit a lot of the salt or soy type products if freezing meals.

MuddyINGOGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Demotte, IN
    I like using pinterest for something new/different to try cooking/baking/putting in crock pot. Allrecipes.com is another great place to look. I've never done the freezer meal thing yet but I may start, seems like a great idea. No more rushing to figure out what to make Wednesday night when nothing is thawed. My new favorite thing for the crock pot is Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili Recipe | Queen Bee Coupons

IMO most cookbooks you can buy from the store-you can find the exact same recipes online.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I like using pinterest for something new/different to try cooking/baking/putting in crock pot. Allrecipes.com is another great place to look. I've never done the freezer meal thing yet but I may start, seems like a great idea. No more rushing to figure out what to make Wednesday night when nothing is thawed. My new favorite thing for the crock pot is Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili Recipe | Queen Bee Coupons

IMO most cookbooks you can buy from the store-you can find the exact same recipes online.

I just "pinned" that one, thanks! I've never put quinoa in the slow cooker, but it's a staple in my pantry.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Recently I discovered that you can cook a whole turkey breast in the slow cooker. Great for having leftovers. Super easy.
    Sometimes on the weekends I do a little meal-prep. We have dried beans a lot, for chili and other dishes. I use the quick-soak method, rinse and cook the beans until they are almost done, then freeze them. Great for throwing in the crockpot with your recipes later. My husband likes when I do pork roast in the crockpot, too. I just use a little red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, and some spices.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Recently I discovered that you can cook a whole turkey breast in the slow cooker. Great for having leftovers. Super easy.
    Sometimes on the weekends I do a little meal-prep. We have dried beans a lot, for chili and other dishes. I use the quick-soak method, rinse and cook the beans until they are almost done, then freeze them. Great for throwing in the crockpot with your recipes later. My husband likes when I do pork roast in the crockpot, too. I just use a little red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, and some spices.

I do the turkey breast in the crock pot all the time. Dump in the gravy packet that comes with it and a can of beer. Moist and delicious. It is the BEST way I have ever fixed it.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Right now my crock pot is perking away with, green beans, potatoes, some mushrooms, onions, smoked sausage, and my secret ingredient for anything in the crock pot, a cup of this mornings left over coffee.

MuddyINGOGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Demotte, IN
    I haven't done a turkey breast in the crock pot but I will do a split chicken breast in the crock pot then shred that for chicken salad sandwiches (on Hawaiian bread of course).

Crock pot desserts are also awesome btw.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Crock pots make fine baked potatoes too.
    You can bake some big ones and load em up for a meal.
    Or, bake em and it will greatly speed up the cook time of fried potatoes.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    This is the best one I have ever bought/used. Hard to beat the prices on this site too. Used books but always cheap and very cheap shipping too.

Fix it and Forget it Cookbook is my "go to" book for crock pot stuff.

Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker (Phyllis Pellman Good) | Used Books from Thrift Books

^^^ good one. I love my slow cooker, or at least the one that works right. I did a venison roast in it yesterday with some Campbell;s BBQ sauce packet thing I had but I've done a pork roast with BBQ sauce and then shred it. YUM! Or you can do chicken breasts (or boneless pork chops) with a box of stuffing and a can of cream of whatever you want soup. Tomorrow I'm trying some applesauce pork chops.It makes getting off work at 7pm way easier for my family.

Top Bottom