Coyotes in my backyard 4:30 this morning...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    ...the rub is I live in Marion County. If I accidentally shot one with an air rifle, is that going to be a problem with the po-po or the neighbors?

Woke up at 4:30am to a whole pack of them yipping and screaming, and I knew they were close. Get up, walk to back door, saw at least 2 only 20 or so yards from me. We do have a fenced yard, so I am not too worried about my dog, but some of the neighbors dont.

I kill coyotes when I see them, but I dont want to get into some s*** for killing one in this commy county.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ...the rub is I live in Marion County. If I accidentally shot one with an air rifle, is that going to be a problem with the po-po or the neighbors?

Woke up at 4:30am to a whole pack of them yipping and screaming, and I knew they were close. Get up, walk to back door, saw at least 2 only 20 or so yards from me. We do have a fenced yard, so I am not too worried about my dog, but some of the neighbors dont.

I kill coyotes when I see them, but I dont want to get into some s*** for killing one in this commy county.

Talking to IndyJohn on the phone yesterday as he was watching a yote out in the Coke field just down the road from us. Mid afternoon.

I would put a pellet out there way. Will not kill it but might make it change it's route.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you use an air rifle to slay one of these beasts, it would be best to use a very powerful one with either a muzzle break that suppresses the pop or with baffles that do the same.
    It would be best to use one of the pre-charged guns (with a 3000 psi air reservoir below the barrels that you fill with a SCUBA tank) to get one with enough power to do it.
    The Benjamin Marauder in .25 caliber with Beeman Kodkiak/H&N Baracuda pellets would be ideal.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I could use my bow, just didnt want to potentially lose arrows.

I hate losing arrows! I would risk one if I had a decent shot at a coyote in my yard. I also live in Marion County and have seen coyotes around subdivisions. I keep the bow handy at all times. You never know . . .

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Few fences can stop a coyote who wants to get through. They will go under a chain link if they want to.

My property used to be an elk farm so it is surrounded in 8ft pagewire fences with 4 inch squares. Typically the coyotes go under, in places that look like only a mouse would do so. But a full-grown coyote can and will go straight through those 4 inch squares when properly motivated. An AR-15 spitting 50gr VMax bullets at them is proper motivation, apparently.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Looks like an excuse to get a suppressor! Or thats what I keep telling myself... Otherwise use an air rifle. With using an air rifle I wouldn't worry about repercussions at all! Not saying there couldn't be some but I just wouldn't personally YMMV

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Few fences can stop a coyote who wants to get through. They will go under a chain link if they want to.

Mine is specifically dog proofed. I have 4" thick concrete blocks lining it so that even digging doesn't work.

I live on 70 acres. The dogs usually get to run free, but I sometimes want to keep them contained (specifically deer hunting season). The fenced area is just behind the house and is about 20' by 60' (full length of the house). They hate it, and they spend much of the time they are in there trying to get out. I figure if they can't get out in 8 hours, coyotes can't get in, either.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    A 22 CB Cap would do the job at 20 25yds if shot in the head and the people next door would never hear it... Sounds like a stick/twig breaking... Thats what I would use in the city limits...

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Don't have much trouble with them getting close out here, must be the the heads on stakes.:)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Well, depending on where you live within Marion county, it might actually be legal to pop one with the firearm of your choice. Don't know that I'd actually DO it, but it's supposedly legal in the outlying areas of the county:

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/Documents/DPSGunDischarge.pdf

If you're going to use a gun, I'd print this and have it handy for the likely po-po visit though:

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/Documents/DPS-Firearms Notice.pdf

What a cool map!

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Well, depending on where you live within Marion county, it might actually be legal to pop one with the firearm of your choice. Don't know that I'd actually DO it, but it's supposedly legal in the outlying areas of the county:

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/Documents/DPSGunDischarge.pdf

If you're going to use a gun, I'd print this and have it handy for the likely po-po visit though:

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/Documents/DPS-Firearms Notice.pdf

Wow, that's awesome. I can shoot where I live. If this map holds up.

Top Bottom