• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbowhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Avon
    I did not want to hijack the other thread on corn stoves.
    For those that heat with corn stoves how much corn did you burn last year and how many square feet do you heat and what was the going rate for a bushel corn ?????
    Thanks

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    1.5 tons of corn (approx 35 bushels) and 1.5 tons of wood pellets...House is 2600 sq ft. and it kept at at approx 68 degrees..Price of corn was bartered, I traded a hog for 150 bushels of corn, wood pellets were $220 at ton @ Big R...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I usually go through 150 bushel for an older 1800 square foot story and a half house. I try to keep it 75-80 if I can.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I usually burn about 1 ton of corn a season and there should be about 35.7 bu in 1 ton of #2 corn. When I 1st started burning corn it was 95 cents a bushel. I switched to wood pellets in the middle of last season when ethanol and the commodity speculators drove the price of corn up over 5 dollars a bushel and they were predicting 8 - 12 a bushel. It never got that high and I think peaked at 7+. I had 2 ton of corn delivered in the Fall of last year at 3.40 a bushel. I have a very high efficiency bio stove and am heating about 2500 square foot. My LP furnace is only for backup and my LP budget is 50 dollars a month. I cannot complain

longbowhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Avon
    Jediagh thanks for the link looks like some good information.

Sarge what kind of stove do you have? if corn got to 12 a bushel it would still be cheaper than Citizen Gas my December gas bill was $ 385

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Jediagh thanks for the link looks like some good information.

Sarge what kind of stove do you have? if corn got to 12 a bushel it would still be cheaper than Citizen Gas my December gas bill was $ 385

I have a Country Flame Harvester

The Harvester Corn/ Pellet Stove from Country Flame is available in three trim finishes – black, gold, and nickel. Made of heavy steel, the stove weighs 404 pounds.
    Some of the stove’s standard features include an air wash system, thermostat connection capability, a stainless steel stir rod to help prevent clinkers, and a room air blower. Burns at 97% efficiency and will put out up to 50,000 BTUs. The Harvester is rated for mobile home use and is approved for use in alcoves.

cornbody.jpg

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Hmm...I am looking for something I could add to my current Gas forced air system that would allow me to use the current ductwork I have. So far the only ones I have REALLY seen were stand alone jobs. any suggestions on where to look??

Greg

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Hmm...I am looking for something I could add to my current Gas forced air system that would allow me to use the current ductwork I have. So far the only ones I have REALLY seen were stand alone jobs. any suggestions on where to look??

Greg

A corn furnace will use your existing ductwork and still have the other as a back up

Top Bottom