• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have a couple of junked .45 cal cans from an old Mac 10. I was thinking of rethreading them and replacing thhe wipes with some baffles and using them for 458 socom. Anyone done that? I would like to hear some other peoples ideas.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I wouldn't put ANY .45 can on a SOCOM upper, but I would think that with the size and subsequent volume of the old MAC cans they would be a better candidate. It would be relatively easy to turn some K-baffles to fit (they would be very large) and slap them in. The only thing I would be afraid of is the BATFE since their infamous letter in response to Gemtech's question regarding retrofitting or rebuilding suppressors to be different from their original spec.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    VUPD is definitely correct. Although the tube is serialized and you CAN make your own REPLACEMENT wipes (a disposable part), you cannot manufacture new baffles.

Once you manufacture a single silencer part, you've committed a felony.

Just add $200 to the cost of parts and machining and you can do it legally.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Larger for a new caliber is definitely a no-no. Not just because Gemtech asked for clarification either...

If he damaged one and then destroyed it and made a new one to replace it he'd be fine.

As he said, it had wipes and he now wishes to machine new baffles.

To the issue regarding .451 and .458 > It probably had a .470 inch bore or larger to begin with.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Larger for a new caliber is definitely a no-no. Not just because Gemtech asked for clarification either...

If he damaged one and then destroyed it and made a new one to replace it he'd be fine.

As he said, it had wipes and he now wishes to machine new baffles.

To the issue regarding .451 and .458 > It probably had a .470 inch bore or larger to begin with.

Yep.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I guess I could add the caliber to it with a letter to the ATF, make it with new wipes.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Letter? You mean "Form1" and $200 personal check ;)

No, you can actually modify the designation of NFA weapons with a letter. IE: add a caliber. I did it with 3 SBRs last year added 9mm and 40 to a 223 sbr. All you do is write a letter to the NFA branch and request to add it. I am assuming that I could do the same with a suppressor. Of course I would have to ask them but I don't see why it would be different from the SBR.

Last edited:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Sorry, but we've already answered "why". If you wish to build suppressor parts (parts are actually classified as suppressors) you would need to submit a Form1. You aren't building anything when you add a caliber to an SBR. I'm not even sure you can do that after the fact- the reason why people get them engraved "multi" and list them as such on a form1. You CAN later write a letter to add a new length, something that didn't need to be done a long time ago but does now.

I would look into it if I were you. I'm pretty sure VUPD and I are correct but you may get a "good" letter back.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry, but we've already answered "why". If you wish to build suppressor parts (parts are actually classified as suppressors) you would need to submit a Form1. You aren't building anything when you add a caliber to an SBR. I'm not even sure you can do that after the fact- the reason why people get them engraved "multi" and list them as such on a form1. You CAN later write a letter to add a new length, something that didn't need to be done a long time ago but does now.

I would look into it if I were you. I'm pretty sure VUPD and I are correct but you may get a "good" letter back.

Not sure about the suppressor stuff, but only 1 of the inspectors for the BATFE is approving forms marked multi. You are more often than not given it back and told to identify caliber and barrel length. Changing configurations permanently requires you to send them a letter with the new caliber/length.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Thanks Nate. I forgot they started doing that. They want to see all calibers listed. I should have known that since I did that for my lower- 5.56mm and 9mm...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom