• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've had 6.8 SPC for about 10 years. There's a 6.8 forum that's pretty helpful, a guy there makes really high quality melonited barrels for about $200. There's a lot of ammo choices
    for it now. I haven't been out hunting but they seem to use it effectively on deer and hogs. Probably would have gotten a Grendel if I hadn't gone 6.8. It would do better at longer
    ranges with a longer barrel to get bullet speed up. 7.69 x 39 seems really interesting because you can use cheap Russian ammo, both the 6.8 and Grendel use the high-priced stuff unless you can reload. I think the main problem with 7.69 is bolt breakage because the width of the rim doesn't leave much room for strong lugs. Just my thoughts, no fanboy on any choice.

Wolf has steel cased grendel pretty cheap. X39 case has some geometric issues that make it troublesome in an ar compatible v magazine. X39 is a compromising cartridge at best in an ar

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you need some more encouragement...

20200501193936.jpg

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Thank you all for the thoughts. I was especially interested to hear the report on Bear Creek Armory. Someone else told me about them. Their prices are great but their reviews are mixed so glad to hear you have had good luck with them. They are a lot cheaper than most.

My research say get and 18-24" barrel for hunting with the 6.5 Grendel, which is my intended use. I really want to take it hog hunting in Texas or Oklahoma.

I have read about the 350 Legend and 300 Hammr but like some of you I am going to let those see a little more use before I bite on an expensive new caliber.
    I have. BCA Grendel 16”. I harvested a 10 pt with one shot at 275 yards quartering away. It went 10 feet. If you want sub moa, spend more. If 1moa - 1.5 moa is all you need you can saved $$. Grendels are Ammo specific. You will have to figure out what your barrel shoots best.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I've had 6.8 SPC for about 10 years. There's a 6.8 forum that's pretty helpful, a guy there makes really high quality melonited barrels for about $200. There's a lot of ammo choices
    for it now. I haven't been out hunting but they seem to use it effectively on deer and hogs. Probably would have gotten a Grendel if I hadn't gone 6.8. It would do better at longer
    ranges with a longer barrel to get bullet speed up. 7.69 x 39 seems really interesting because you can use cheap Russian ammo, both the 6.8 and Grendel use the high-priced stuff unless you can reload. I think the main problem with 7.69 is bolt breakage because the width of the rim doesn't leave much room for strong lugs. Just my thoughts, no fanboy on any choice.

You can find Grendel ammo as low as $6 for wolf, $14 Ppu, hornady for $21, others $$$
    Availability is an issue at times.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Once the panic is over and gun/ammo prices return to more normal levels (hopefully) I am considering a larger caliber upper to add to my existing AR-15. I currently have a complete gun with a .223 Wylde chamber for defense, play, competition. Even with quality ammo, IMHO, the .223/5.56 is to light for hog/deer sized game hunting. So I seek the wisdom of Ingo. What caliber upper would you advise for use with a standard AR-15 lower to take hog/deer sized game and provide a, just for fun not serious competition, longer range rifle.

I am not in the market for a whole new platform (AR-10, SCAR, etc.) just a new reasonably priced upper. Budget is DEFINITELY a consideration. Cost and availability of ammo and magazines are a consideration as well.

I have been researching the 6.5 Grendel and looked a little at the 6.8 SPC but am open to suggestions within the parameters I mentioned and am happy to answer questions.

I await your wisdom (not being sarcastic, I am seriously interested in your thoughts and comments. Even the smart a$$ ones).

Magazines are an issue for grendels. Don’t try to use your 223/5.56 mags.

Top Bottom