• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Keep working at it, and some of you might rise to reptilian levels of empathy. It's no wonder anti-gunners see gun folks as evil.

I approach this in the same way I try to approach all these subjects: what if he was my son? Clearly he's misbehaving, and taking advantage of a system that allows him to cheat, so I have to want that fixed. His threats of self-harm indicate that something is very wrong, so that also needs to be addressed. His fetish has become an addiction, and he needs treatment. As his hypothetical father, I would want the best outcome for him -- to become a fully productive and engaged member of society, free to pursue his own happiness at his own expense, NOT a pine box six feet underground.

It's one thing to allow for suicide as a free person's choice. It's quite another to wish they would do it. This thread is disgusting.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Here's a question. If he didn't have that social security safety net, would he be a productive member of society or would he be dead?

The article makes it sound like he's using disability to support a fetish. That is disgusting. Is it true?
    The media's never downplayed one aspect of a story or emphasized another for the sake of sensationalism, right? The news is always objective and accurate... Right?

Whatever the case, I have a problem with this 'let him die' attitude. Human life is worth something, period.

It's less "let him die" and more, "If he wants to off himself, that's his choice, but we disagree with paying him to prevent him from doing so." Kind of like swimming: He's already in the water. He knows how to swim. If we take away his floaties, he has a choice: Swim or drown. Let him make that choice for himself. If he chooses to swim, maybe he will choose to climb back on the boat with the rest of us and be a productive member of society. If he chooses not to, we're no worse off without him than we were with him leeching off the rest of us.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Keep working at it, and some of you might rise to reptilian levels of empathy. It's no wonder anti-gunners see gun folks as evil.

I approach this in the same way I try to approach all these subjects: what if he was my son? Clearly he's misbehaving, and taking advantage of a system that allows him to cheat, so I have to want that fixed. His threats of self-harm indicate that something is very wrong, so that also needs to be addressed. His fetish has become an addiction, and he needs treatment. As his hypothetical father, I would want the best outcome for him -- to become a fully productive and engaged member of society, free to pursue his own happiness at his own expense, NOT a pine box six feet underground.

It's one thing to allow for suicide as a free person's choice. It's quite another to wish they would do it. This thread is disgusting.

Aw, but Fletch, clearly he's a pre-vert and not entitled to the same consideration as us normal folks. You know what they say... Kinky is using a feather, perverted is using the whole da*n chicken.

What this guy is doing is nothing more than blackmail, Blazing Saddles style. "If you don't pay me, I'll kill this baby! I'll kill him, I swear!"

I say we, as a society, should call his bluff.

Insert purple as appropriate.

ETA: I also don't believe he's "sick" in the sense of his suicidal threat. To lock him up for that is to legitimize his "support me or else" ultimatum; we'll still be paying to support him. Just cut off his benefits.

Blessings,
    Bill

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I say we, as a society, should call his bluff.
    I agree that we should call his bluff. To a person allowing their dysfunction to consume their lives to the point where suicide becomes a seriously threatened option, there is no greater reality check than being put in a psychiatric hold for evaluation, especially when they share a ward (or a room) with folks who have real problems. You make the decision to get your **** together real quick when that happens.

In the scenario I envision, the letter he wrote is enough to be hauled in for such a hold. While under suicide watch, he's informed that his SSI benefits will be pulled (if he is indeed not disabled). He's also informed that he can and will be involuntarily committed for an unspecified period of time, starting with 90 days, if it is determined that his threats are a serious concern. The decision is then his: straighten up or go with the program.

I choose to approach the situation with love. That doesn't mean I'm going easy.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    "Doctor, I am suffering from Black Rifle Disease. Is there any way that you can help me get SSI so that other people will pay for my rifles and I can spend all of my time shooting them?"

"Well, what are your symptoms?"

"I spend hours every week on a local gun forum. I am obsessed with owning as many firearms as I can. I occasionally skimp on necessities to save for ammo and more guns. I spend a disproportionate amount of my income on firearms and related items. I think it should be perfectly normal for a person to be seen with an AR-15 in the back window of his truck. I believe the 2nd Amendment should mean no restrictions on firearms ownership for legal citizens."

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom