• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    Saw one for sale in the classifieds for a great price G17 Compensated $350.

So what are the advantages of these pistols. Follow up shots are easier?

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Don't use a compensated Glock! The blast from the holes will blind you and burn a hole in the ceiling!

Yeah I hear that all the time on other forums...

The compensated Glocks have less recoil/muzzle flip but are louder because of the holes in the slide. I know of a lot of people that shoot them and like them though. Although a G17 doesn't really have a crushing recoil, so not really sure how much the compensation helps it. But that is a killer deal. :thumbsup:

Plus if you don't like the compensation, you can always buy a solid barrel for the gun.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Most people say so. Some people use them for self protection/IDPA but I'd keep an eye on two things:

If you shoot from retention make sure the gun in slightly canted to the right if you're right handed so the gasses coming out the top don't hit ya in the face.

Also because of the gasses coming out the top, the front sight will get very dirty very quickly. If you're dependent on the front dot for sight alignment that might be an issue.

And remember it will be louder. That may be an issue if you need to shoot it without hearing protection.

Some people say that if you shoot it at night you'll blind yourself because of the fireball coming out the top. I've never had an issue with this but as they say, YMMV.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Don't use a compensated Glock! The blast from the holes will blind you and burn a hole in the ceiling!

Yeah I hear that all the time on other forums...

The compensated Glocks have less recoil/muzzle flip but are louder because of the holes in the slide. I know of a lot of people that shoot them and like them though. Although a G17 doesn't really have a crushing recoil, so not really sure how much the compensation helps it. But that is a killer deal. :thumbsup:

Plus if you don't like the compensation, you can always buy a solid barrel for the gun.

Flame like this

compensator.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ok all the jokes about a compensated glock setting your pants on fire vs. it just blowing up instead aside, the compensation helps with rapid fire. It does usually change what group you shoot against in competition.

Many revolvers are compensated in the same way.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Plus it just looks bad ass. =) Also that Glock 17 in the classifieds is the double action only model. Dont know if that makes a difference or not.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Plus it just looks bad ass. =) Also that Glock 17 in the classifieds is the double action only model. Dont know if that makes a difference or not.

Don't let Integraholic mislead anyone, he's a 1911 guy.

Chris- ALL Glocks are double-action only. But Glock calls it "Safe Action", and "striker fired".

Silly Kimber boy.

hahahaha

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I have a G23C.

The porting dampens the recoil somewhat.......

It is LOUDER.

The "flame and blinding flash" are a non-issue, and I wouldn't worry about them.

I occasionally carry mine for a CCW weapon, and have no reservations about it.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have the 21c and 23c. After I got them, I never shoot my 19 anymore. The 19 kicks worse than the 21c (.45) and isn't as fun to shoot anymore. Never got burned/blinded/blown my ear drums out. Hundreds of rounds down range and 0 problems to report here. BTW if you aren't wearing hearing protection anyway, you might be deaf.

Xring

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a G19c. I don't notice a huge recoil reduction, but I'm not usually recoil sensitive. A non ported G19 is pretty soft shooting anyway. I've found the so called, "blinding flash," during night firing to be a non issue, at least for me.

Top Bottom