• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Shouldn't be much of an issue for the US. A quick glance at USDA's site on exports/imports shows we aren't importing much of the type of rice affected by India's ban.

Gonna suck for Africa and the like, though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Shouldn't be much of an issue for the US. A quick glance at USDA's site on exports/imports shows we aren't importing much of the type of rice affected by India's ban.

Though I wonder whether companies will take the opportunity to give the prices a bit of a bump anyway?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Though I wonder whether companies will take the opportunity to give the prices a bit of a bump anyway?

Maybe. It's a commodity, so unless there's a panic run there's probably not a ton of price flexibility. If we have unused export capacity, that may affect prices, but I don't know enough about the topic to know how realistic a concern that is. Shipping has been difficult for industries of all stripes, so I would *guess* there isn't a ton of unused shipping capacity to move it to Africa or other nations, even if they could pay more than US consumers.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI

I was wondering this very thing as I scrolled down the thread. So it looks like the US imports are safe? (Except basmati) I could eat rice daily, but my A1C says otherwise. Now when China invades Taiwan, then we may have a rice import issue

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was wondering this very thing as I scrolled down the thread. So it looks like the US imports are safe? (Except basmati) I could eat rice daily, but my A1C says otherwise. Now when China invades Taiwan, then we may have a rice import issue

Yes to US being safe, but to clarify:

Basmati and other "aromatics" are the vast majority of what we import, and are exempted from the export ban.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Yes to US being safe, but to clarify:

Basmati and other "aromatics" are the vast majority of what we import, and are exempted from the export ban.
    Good news for the wife, she loves basmati. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some panic purchasing & empty shelves if this gets more press coverage.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

When they came for the rice, we didn't stand up, because it wasn't the kind of rice we ate...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    As diffent types of grain get hard to come by then the prices for what is available will rise. Not worried rice has not been something I am worried about for quit some time. About 500 pounds stashed away.

Top Bottom