• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Visited one of my haunts yesterday and they had a boxed set of the original 1st Gen Colt 1860 Army revolvers…. A Calvary commemorative according the the barrel markings. Both were setup for the buttstock that was included and they looked to be unfired and almost mint. One had a scuff/bruise on the wooden grip otherwise they were splendid. Realistically what is this west worth? Thanks

Attachments

• 372408D6-553A-489E-A544-E2E9C4646E0F.jpeg
      372408D6-553A-489E-A544-E2E9C4646E0F.jpeg
      418.8 KB · Views: 46
    Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have the same set purchased some time back. I saw one sell for $1300 on GB last month, but didn't take a close look at the condition. Second gen Colt BP revolvers are usually very high quality in fit and finish. I have my share of both those and Ubertis and like both, but the Colts are a little nicer and have better resale.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I would like to add some firearms like this to my collection, so I shared this thread with a friend of mine that has a pretty nice collection of this genre going. Maybe he'll take an interest. :cool:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Soldiers of the period weren't particularily interested in the stock, deciding to just carry another revolver instead.

Cap and ball guns will stay in ready condition if loaded properly a lot longer than many realize. It's interesting to read historical accounts of every day use with firearms of the times. During the flintlock era you always read about people "drawing the charge" on a pistol and spreading it out to dry then reloading it. I've never read one about a cap and ball revolver.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I know a gentleman who lived off the grid pretty much. He daily carried a Walker or 1860 army…. He even made his own black powder. He was a definite proponent of cap and ball revolvers.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    There not as big a chore as some let on. If your in the habit of cleaning your firearms after a range session then it’s nothing new. I had three Walkers, a 1860 army, a 62 navy, a pair of 58 Remingtons, and a Lemat. All were fun to shoot but I must admit my Walkers were the most fun and addicting. I would never rule out a Ruger Old Army although their prices have gone four digits nowadays.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There not as big a chore as some let on. If your in the habit of cleaning your firearms after a range session then it’s nothing new. I had three Walkers, a 1860 army, a 62 navy, a pair of 58 Remingtons, and a Lemat. All were fun to shoot but I must admit my Walkers were the most fun and addicting.
    I've had a couple of BP rifles before. It wasn't just the cleaning (I shoot a lot of old milsurp rifles with corrosive ammo), so much as it was the reloading.

Like the Steve Earle song, "Devil's Right Hand" says,

"My very first pistol was a cap 'n ball Colt. Shoot as fast as lightnin' but she loads a might slow. She loads a might slow, I soon found out, get ya into trouble but it can't get ya out." :):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    For those that like the look, but want to avoid the mess, get a conversion. Lots of BP guns were converted to cartridge guns back in the day and Colt used up a lot of BP parts making things like the Richards and Mason conversion guns. Much the same with the Remington 1858.

Here a favorite of mine, a Uberti copy of the conversion Colt 1851 in 38 Special. The wider front sight and larger grips are add on features of mine as my hands need wider grips and my eyes need bigger brighter sights. Accuracy is quite good with regular 38 special ammo. 1851conv.jpg

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    There not as big a chore as some let on. If your in the habit of cleaning your firearms after a range session then it’s nothing new. I had three Walkers, a 1860 army, a 62 navy, a pair of 58 Remingtons, and a Lemat. All were fun to shoot but I must admit my Walkers were the most fun and addicting. I would never rule out a Ruger Old Army although their prices have gone four digits nowadays.

I do enjoy Walkers.

E1D8C739-0E69-4289-AF5D-ADCBC1549459.jpeg

Top Bottom