• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Talked to the wife today at lunch and she said she just got done talking with a stranger at our home. Some young man came to the house selling books over the summer to earn money. she fell for it and sent hime away wih an $85 check for half of the cost for the 8 books :xmad:. I got the name of the company "soutwestern company" and did a little research. It is a real place and we would have gotten our books, but from what i have read they are not real good quality. They have a good BBB rating but a lot of complaints :dunno:. I told her to cancel the order and that we didnt need it. From my research and from what she told me about what the guy said they use information about your neighbors and any one they talk to sell you books. Its part of their training before they get started. I just wanted to let everyone here know that these people are around. I will not give this company a dime after reading what these kids go through during a summer selling books. 80 hour weeks, no contact with family, high pressure from their managers and all at thier own expense till they get their commision check at the end of summer which sometimes doesnt even cover what they spent. Hope this can help someone not make the same mistake.

ETA we dont live in the city where door to door sales are normal. We live well outside the city and rarely see salespeople.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I can understand desperation, and I have no sympathy for the lowlifes that will exploit it for their own profit. However, try to sell something to me door to door and you'll come away with a distinct feeling of good fortune that you're not in pieces in the freezer downstairs. Not that you would be, but I'm, shall we say, not very welcoming. Plus, if you're not displaying proper credentials, you'll be speaking with law enforcement.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think I bought a series of children's educational books from them a few years ago. (And they are fabulous books! My older son loves them and will read them when he's sent to his room to decompress.) But I said if he didn't have the books on hand, he wasn't getting a dime. Surprisingly, he had a complete set in the trunk of his car. I got the books, he got the check.

But that was before the series of front door knocks with things going missing from the side yard. Now, I just "answer" a knock at the door by going out back with the dog.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I made a pot of cash selling stuff door to door when I was a kid in high school. I sold greeting cards, Knick Knacks, Mason Shoes, Metal Social Security Cards, and a ton of costume jewelry. And kids say they can't find a job.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had one develop a butthurt attitude after I listen to his spiel for at least 15 seconds before I told him I wasn't buying anything from him.

He claimed to be a Journalism student at MSU over and over, and I said, "...hey that's great, still not buying." I told him to leave and he did, muttering very low level words that I couldn't make out (probably a good thing). I said, "speak up if you want me to hear you". He just gave me the stink eye and kept going.

I love it when I start off by being polite while this kid is annoying me, and then he gets all indignant when he doesn't get my money that he thinks he's entitled to. I think the 4 hour training that they give them is missing something.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Posted no Trespass and no sales right by the front door. Posted same on the fence and the tree. They still come up and beat on the door. I do an 88 GT but I do not have a dog, I have a 1911 and I keep it holstered and CC as I confront said trespasser who when pointed to the sign always says "I am not trespassing, I am selling this or that. You just can not fix stupid. At that point I become as evilwrench said, not very welcoming and insist they leave, immediately. Some do with the mumbling, some get shown the holstered 1911. Attitude softens, idiot leaves.
    We have had a few things walk off from the yard and just do not want un-invited strangers coming up to the house.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I would think, with the way the world is now, it would take some major balls to just walk up to random houses and knock on the door. Not to mention using a high pressure sales approach. I kinda feel sorry for the people who get stuck with that gig. Not sorry enough to buy anything from em', but still, wow.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    When I lived on the west side of Evansville I can't count how many times roving bands of magazine salesmen would come knocking. Usually trying to "win a trip" or something. It's all baloney. Usually you get the product but it is overpriced and you have to deal with these pushy overworked "sales" men. I was surprised up here in Indy that I had the same kind of people but they were selling chocolate.

Top Bottom