• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Let me start with this -- I like Colion Noir, I watch his videos and I think he has a pretty sharp take on things. I'm delighted the NRA made what is apparently a non-stupid choice. Will wonders never cease.

Here's my problem, I hear people cheering his hiring because he is Black. Perhaps I've fallen and hit my head but isn't that not a good thing?

Here's how my wife puts it: If you hire somebody because they're Black that is bad in exactly the same way as if you wouldn't hire them because they were Black, right?

A race based decision is a race based decision is a race based decision. And the last time I was forcibly re-educated in the subject of race I'm pretty sure that the upshot was that race based hiring was a bad thing. But i was pretty drunk so I can't say for sure.

What am I missing here? :dunno:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    First off, the fact that he's an amazingly talented individual is absolute truth. Would he have gotten the gig if he weren't black...I have no idea, but what he SAYS resonates with me big time and would be enough to grab my attention without ever seeing his face. That said, I do see some advantages to his skin color. There are so many black leaders and celebrities who present black men in what can only be described as a less than favorable light...it's really nice to see someone representative of the black community I've personally encountered instead of some thug rapping about his conquests of the law and the female gender.

Right or wrong, we tend to identify with people who look/act/speak the way we do, I think if they can get an awesome message out there and provide a good role model young black men in particular can identify with, that's a win win.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    A race based decision is a race based decision is a race based decision.

You are missing the fact that it wasn't a race based decision. The fact that Colin is black is considered a plus, but he was hired because of his ability to communicate the pro-gun message clearly and effectively. That is a rare gift. Why is being black a plus in this case? Because of the constant refrain by anti-gunners that the NRA represents "old white men". He helps illustrate that others are welcome.

I consider Colin's situation much like Que. Que is well known and popular around INGO. Because he is black? No, because he is funny, involved and personable. For either to be ignored or rejected because of their skin color would have been the racist reaction, not their popularity.

Last edited:

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    they couldnt have possibly hired him because he has a way with words, speaks about gun issues in a way we all wish we could and has built himself quite a youtube following over the past couple years. It HAS to be his skin color!!:rolleyes:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We live in a world where perception is accepted as reality. If this gentleman improves our public perception, good.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Picking a president who has done nothing in life but be born black: reasonable.

Choosing a spokesperson based on the fact that he is articulate and speaks both for the mainstream and a formerly-not-seen component of gun-owners: racist.

Who are the real racists? :dunno:

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    I've only recently discovered Colion Noir and his work, but I was very happy to hear that the NRA news picked him up. He has great messages which he delivers in a memorable, humorous, and thought-provoking way. That's always a plus in a spokesman.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    He certainly does have a cool name. Let's see how the media (at least the ones who took Freshman French) snark fun at that (oh, that's right...they won't even acknowledge his existence).

I haven't found his couple videos I've seen to be that well-delivered, but then I'm an old white guy and I guess young people express themselves differently today. I say give it a chance. The younger generation obviously responds to something different, so...let's let them see something different.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Let me start with this -- I like Colion Noir, I watch his videos and I think he has a pretty sharp take on things. I'm delighted the NRA made what is apparently a non-stupid choice. Will wonders never cease.

Here's my problem, I hear people cheering his hiring because he is Black. Perhaps I've fallen and hit my head but isn't that not a good thing?

Here's how my wife puts it: If you hire somebody because they're Black that is bad in exactly the same way as if you wouldn't hire them because they were Black, right?

A race based decision is a race based decision is a race based decision. And the last time I was forcibly re-educated in the subject of race I'm pretty sure that the upshot was that race based hiring was a bad thing. But i was pretty drunk so I can't say for sure.

It depends. If he was hired solely to fill a quota or the like, solely because of race, then yes, it is racist. If he was hired because he is otherwise qualified, and race is a BFOQ because of the target audience to which outreach is addressed then no, it was a sound business decision.

BFOQ="bona fide occupational requirement"

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Just to be clear. I'm not saying I think he got the job because he's Black. All I'm saying is I've seen people who are very excited because he is Black and I was questioning that.

To reiterate what I said above. I like the guy and watch his videos. I cheered his hiring by the NRA, not because he's Black but because I think he's an effective spokesman. Race didn't cross my mind. Not because I'm so amazingly not racist, by today's standards I'm certain I am a racist. But because in this instance I don't see the relevance.

So, I'm missing the boat?

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    It appears that you may be missing the fact that there are very few outspoken black males that represent the law abiding gun community in a positive light. Yes, he earned the position with his talent, but his race it a plus for all he represents. As a black man with a gun( ref. Kenn Blanchard) myself, I see his race immediately, and am encouraged by his presence. He is on a much larger scale as I am in my sphere of influence. An Unfortunate Rarity.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I'm sure part of the decision to being him on was because he is black, but not the whole reason. I'm also sure that Mr Noir knows this as well.
    Lets face facts: The Antis see the NRA as a bunch of old angry white men, its the stereotype they wish very much to promote. We gun owners KNOW this is not true, but how can we fight the stereotype?, Guys like Colion Noir, thats how. He's a young, intelligent, well spoken, hard working professional. He appeals to a very broad audience, and this is well evidenced by his Youtube channel followers.
    I don't see the NRA as using Mr Noir at all. I see it as them supporting his prior efforts and allowing him a grander stage and hopefully a wider audience.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Politically correct or not:

A black man who was raised by a single mom and put himself through law school has a HELL of a lot more credibility when speaking about the culture of inner-city violence (the real driver of "gun violence") than any "ole white guy".

His thoughts, words and opinions are MUCH harder for naysayers on the left to simply attribute to ignorance and/or racism the way they do folks like LaPierre.

/29 year old white guy

Top Bottom