• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    So if a squirrel or piny or a racoon or climbing animal of such would climb up the tree your perched in while deer hunting, do you...
    A: let him climb and come on up?
    B: do what you can to ward him off?

I pick B. I don't want them critters scratching me up or biting me!
    I did have an owl try to land on me once. I think we both were suprised at the same time.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I'd let them do what they want (unless it was a bear).
    Just this saturday I had a squirrel above me in a tree and he was none to happy
    to find me under that tree. He spend 10 minutes or so barking and scratching
    on the tree throwing bark down on top of my head. He eventually got tired
    of playing with me and scampered on to another tree....

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I am not to interested in letting something climb in the tree with me. I had a bad experience with a squirrel that got startled a long time ago and he decided my leg was a good place to bury his teeth before he took off like crazy. Probably the one in a lifetime deal butnot interested in that happening ever again. I had a baseball sized bruise and some very nasty holes to go with it. It happened so quick that I didnt even realize it happened until My leg just started throbbing and my pants felt wet from the blood. The way I see it is I let them know I am there. If they continue my way there is a possibility that it might not end well. You never know what a wild animal will do when it gets startled or caught of guard. If it knows you are there and still continues, well lets just say that I never let them close enough now days to find out its intentions. I had two huge raccoons decide they didnt like me in thier tree last year. They knew I was there and continued towards me all bristled up and snarling at me. I tried to get them to turn but they were on a mission. Needless to say both are now buried. The weird thing was that after I shot the first one and it fell the second one continued towards me. This was the first time I ever had raccoons do that.

ylwfever69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Greenwood
    I would try to ward them off as quietly as possible. WOW that video of the black bear crawling up the tree is crazy. I don't know if I would have been video taping that or peeing my pants.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i let nature do what it wants. if the critter doesnt notice me there or it just goes about its business then i know im doing something right. now its a bear like in that vid i would have painted its face brown from me crapping my self and screaming like a little girl

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    Just pay them no mind. Had numerous squirrels touch me, birds land on my bow and a coon crawl down the back of the tree I was in.

With that said, I did softly talk to a bear that was standing with his front paws on my tree in Ontario.

harmonn@att.net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    I had a first encounter last Sunday myself, as I had to clear a squirrel nest from my ladder stand (haven't hunted there for two years). Unfortunately, he was at home, but luckily did not put up a fight and ran down the tree. Never barked at me or anything. Poor little guy is going to freeze this Winter...:)

Top Bottom