• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Southport
    I have an Eddystone 30-06 and a jungle carbine still in cosmoline except for the outside stocks. Does any one have any links to periodicals or online text on bringing them to serviceable condition. I plan on shooting both since they are not extremely valuable. Any info would help. Thanks
    :patriot:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have heard all sorts of ways to do it. My Dad said they used to use gas or carbon tetrachloride. I don't those are approved methods these days. Some people use mineral spirits, some boiling water, some use steamers...

by the way good looking dawg

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I have an Eddystone 30-06 and a jungle carbine still in cosmoline except for the outside stocks. Does any one have any links to periodicals or online text on bringing them to serviceable condition. I plan on shooting both since they are not extremely valuable. Any info would help. Thanks
    :patriot:

Ummm.... FWIW.... Here's one that sold for over $2,000 in 2006:

CLICKY ----> Model 1917 Eddystone 30/06 Cal. SN- 1159165 Auction

So....... :dunno:

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Yeah, if they are still in the original cosmo packing, you may want to auction them and buy 5 shooters for the money you'd make. But if it is just cosmo from after storage or a rebuild kerosene, mineral spirits, and hoppes 9 works. Get a tooth brush and some qtips and scrub off the dried cosmo. Use a rag with mineral spirits to rub off the big bunches of cosmo.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Depending on if you want to keep it until the year 3125, or just protect the original finish, here's what I do to remove cosmo (as its known in industrial applications)

-Find a clean parts washer that uses 100% pure mineral spirits. They will strip the cosmo off for you, and at the same time, the spirits will not hurt any thing on the firearm.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I always use kerosene to de-cosmo military guns. After a couple of hours it will all be melted away. I have a large stainless steel tank I use for complete barreled actions.

It is currently on loan to Beech Grove firearms. Greg and the boys at BGF will do it for you using my tank if you don't want to take the time or effort to do it yourself.

For stocks use no fume easy off, then steam them with a clothes steamer or wet washcloth and an iron. Then stain with leather dye and oil with linseed oil.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Southport
    Thanks Crystalship1!
    Unbelievable! I bought both guns from the long extinct Gun Room 20 years ago for $180 apiece and my gun habit was sidetracked until last year, so i lost touch on gun values. Guess i better check Krag-Jorgensen values, too. Thanks guys for all the info, it will definitely help

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Thanks Crystalship1!
    Unbelievable! I bought both guns from the long extinct Gun Room 20 years ago for $180 apiece and my gun habit was sidetracked until last year, so i lost touch on gun values. Guess i better check Krag-Jorgensen values, too. Thanks guys for all the info, it will definitely help

I loved the Gun Room!!!!! Miss it a lot!!!!!! :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :patriot:

I hope you find out that you're s is worth a lot!!!! :yesway:

:cheers:

Top Bottom