Chinese Norinco Tokarev Type 54 any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Samarium

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2021
    Monroe County
    Any experiences or comments to share? I really love the Tokarev platform and 7.62 x 25 cal.
    I see them for sale for about $300 in good condition. I would love a romanian, yugo, or russian but much more expensive at the moment. Thanks in advance!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Any experiences or comments to share? I really love the Tokarev platform and 7.62 x 25 cal.
    I see them for sale for about $300 in good condition. I would love a romanian, yugo, or russian but much more expensive at the moment. Thanks in advance!
    The nice thing about the Chinese pistols is they have a "trigger safety" only I believe, instead of the afterthought frame-mounted or slide-mounted safeties on some of the other imports. Switch out the trigger group for a standard one, and you have a Tokarev in its original configuration (no safety).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    @DoggyDaddy Yes sir, these have the trigger safety and I intend to change the trigger to restore it to its original configuration. I will keep the forums updated on my endeavors with this.
    I think there were some Yugo M57's imported with the trigger safety too. Seems like AIM and maybe Classic had them.

I have a Romanian that I like, but I really wish I would have kept my Polish. I sold it several years ago, along with all my surplus ammo. When I started seeing commercial ammo, and especially commercial SD ammo, I decided to get another one and the Romanian was available at a reasonable price (the Polish ones have gone up quite a bit). 7.62x25 is a neat little round. Really packs a lot into a small package.

My Romanian...

1627074570652.png

This was my Polish TT-33. :crying:

1627074696625.png

Samarium

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2021
    Monroe County
    What a beauty! I am hoping to get a few Chinese and try to trade for other countries who manufactured to Tokarev to collect them all if possible.

Does anyone know if I can purchase Russian, Yugo, Romainian, or polish original triggers or does the Chinese Type 54 need the original Chinese triggers?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What a beauty! I am hoping to get a few Chinese and try to trade for other countries who manufactured to Tokarev to collect them all if possible.

Does anyone know if I can purchase Russian, Yugo, Romainian, or polish original triggers or does the Chinese Type 54 need the original Chinese triggers?
    I don't know for sure, but I *think* that they're interchangeable. A quick search of Numrich didn't turn up anything.

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    I have a Chinese Tokarev.
    The grip is barely big enough if you have big hands.
    I prefer the yugo m57 as it has a longer grip.
    The Chinese tokarev had some hiccups.
    A good cleaning would probably fix it though.
    The Yugo m57 ran flawless.
    They have Chinese 9mm tokarevs too.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The nice thing about the Chinese pistols is they have a "trigger safety" only I believe, instead of the afterthought frame-mounted or slide-mounted safeties on some of the other imports. Switch out the trigger group for a standard one, and you have a Tokarev in its original configuration (no safety).

Two honest/curious questions: how would one carry a Tokarev if there is no safety? And is the gun "drop safe" without the safety?

Seems like a good learning opportunity for me. I've always been curious how others carry these SAO pistols, especially if they don't have safeties.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Two honest/curious questions: how would one carry a Tokarev if there is no safety? And is the gun "drop safe" without the safety?

Seems like a good learning opportunity for me. I've always been curious how others carry these SAO pistols, especially if they don't have safeties.
    Well, you have to keep in mind that they were a military pistol, and the holsters that they were carried in had a big leather flap over them (so not really made for "quick draw" scenarios like today). With the trigger safety, they could be carried "cocked" (really not much different than a striker fired DAO pistol with no safety), or you could carry one in the pipe and cock the hammer manually upon drawing. I don't have a definitive answer as to whether they are "drop safe" with just the trigger safety.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I really enjoy the form of the tokarev pistols. Simple and sleek, potent cartridge too. Only ever had two, Norinco 213 (9mm) and a Yugo 57
    20170625_003536.jpg
    My Chinese tokarev had a major issue with soft steel, from what I see its common with Chinese guns. The frame inside was obviously soft and being mushroomed out from impact with the slide. Internals were rough. It ran 9mm mostly fine. Wouldn't recommend.

The Yugo I had was better, nice part is, Zastava is still making parts for them. I was able to order missing parts that were newly made. Fit just fine. I just don't like the look of the longer grip on the 57s. Original tokarev looks best in my opinion.

Deimos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    Mooresville

They do have a safety, the hammer has a half(quarter actually)-cock system where the trigger cannot be pulled and hammer will not ride forward without being pulled all the way back.

Top Bottom