Charging for mounting and balancing when buying new tires???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't buy a lot of new tires anymore like I used to when I had multiple toys, no wife, and no kids. But when I did it was common practice (or so I thought) for places to mount and balance tires for free if you bought them from their store. This was always a big factor when trying to decide between buying tires online or from a local store because no matter how good a price you got on the tire, shipping and mounting fees (usually around $20 per tire made it a bad deal, or at a minimum a wash.

Today I went to price tires for the wife's car and was really surprised that mounting and balancing was an additional fee, regardless that I would be buying them there. After looking online I could save a few bucks because of this but not enough to really make it worth while. Anyway, is this common practice now or are my memories just glazed over rainbows and unicorn farts??

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Walmart charges $5 a tire for mounting and balance. I recently bought new tires for my dually ram over amazon and all the bigger tire chains quoted me at least $20 a tire which is bogus. That $5 covers them removing the tire, breaking it down, installing new ones, balancing, and torquing them to specs. Can't beat that.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    You have to watch where you go. I go to a small independent garage and he prices tires mounted, balanced, new valve stems installed. People say they can get cheaper elsewhere but by the time you add the mount and balance and new valve stems there is no comparison. Plus my guy knows tires, unlike most of the help at chain stores.

bulldogg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    speedway,indiana
    with new car prices, and the economy being bad, people are fixing what they have, so repair and replacement of parts are going up also. just like every thing shop around for best deals.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    normally the charge 10-15 per tire and 3.00 per each old tire to dispose of it usually a local mom and pop will have a better deal. Also check out your local new car dealers I know the Ford dealer here in town is very hard to beat on tires

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hmmm... guess it depends where you go. I always get my tires from Zurcher Tire in Monroe, IN. One of the largest Firestone distributor's east of the Mississippi River and despite how large they've grown, they still treat you like their a one-bay, hometown shop. Free mounting & balancing on ALL tires you purchase from them. It doesn't matter if they are used tires that you bought for $20 ea, or new tires, it's free... IMHO, best place to get tires hands down...

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Walmart charges $5 a tire for mounting and balance. I recently bought new tires for my dually ram over amazon and all the bigger tire chains quoted me at least $20 a tire which is bogus. That $5 covers them removing the tire, breaking it down, installing new ones, balancing, and torquing them to specs. Can't beat that.

I would'nt trust most Wal-Mart mechanics to wipe :poop: off my windows if they worked at a full service gas station.

Back in the early 90's when I had my 88 Ford Ranger XST 4x4 they continuously marked it down that they checked my front and rear differentials and transfer case oil level.

Three days after I had an oil change I had a rear universal go bad, I had it replaced, guy asked me if I wanted the differentials oil checked. Told him it was checked 3 days ago. He kindly replies that there has not been a ratchet in that plug for a very long time because the plug was full and had a 1/8 layer of crud over it.

Needless to sat I went back to Wally World and blew them a ton of crap about it and never went back there.

Now that is out of the way...

I bought tires from Tire Barn back in December and got the best price of all the dealers I checked, plus....

Tire Barn does not charge for mounting, balancing and also provides the below:

FREE New Rubber Valve
    FREE
    Lifetime Rotation (every 5000 miles)
    FREE
    Nitrogen Inflation
    FREE
    Tire Storage Bags
    FREE
    Manufacturer’s Warranty Service
    FREE
    Precision Hand Torquing

Why Buy From Tire Barn

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My local Discount Tire charges for mount/balance when buying new. After that, I've never been charged, even for tires they didn't sell me. I've dropped off trailer tires for new valve stems, my off-road tires to be re-mounted (37" tires), and random patch jobs, and they always take care of me free of charge. As long as they take care of me, I'll keep sending business their way.

Tire pricing is as competitive now as ever, especially with Internet sales. Services are the only real profits, so shops have to charge for whatever they can.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is part of the "great discount dillusion" as written in an economic text book in the 1960's. The last set of tires I tried three places, and all had to order in the tires I wanted. Two were chains, one was an independent shop that also was a tire shop. Both of the discount stores had almost the same price on a set of four. Buy the time they got the "other" charges added up the price was significantly higher. $12 each for valve stems...give me a break. The local shop gave me a price that was a few bucks higher than the chain stores. When I asked for the total, he said, that IS the total. Fully installed. Taxes. Disposal. I was so refreshed I paid him the $35 or so more than the "discounters" . Before he gave the car back he had a kid vacuum my car and wipe the windows. Then, get this. He looked me in the eye and thanked me, shook my hand and told me he appreciated me. I started taking both cars there for oil changes too. Always treated me fair and never tried to sell my wife something that was not needed, like the chains do. I can afford $50 extra every other year to make sure the job is done right, by someone I trust.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Hmmm... guess it depends where you go. I always get my tires from Zurcher Tire in Monroe, IN. One of the largest Firestone distributor's east of the Mississippi River and despite how large they've grown, they still treat you like their a one-bay, hometown shop. Free mounting & balancing on ALL tires you purchase from them. It doesn't matter if they are used tires that you bought for $20 ea, or new tires, it's free... IMHO, best place to get tires hands down...

I hate to tell you this.... it's still not "free". You just pay more per tire. Take from me, I deal with this all day everyday, tires are competitive. We here at the dealer can usually beat the local chain store prices tire for tire, except on their cheapo chain only tires that suck. You can pay $5 at walmart and hope they did it right, you can pay $20 at tire chain and let them strip your lugnuts, or you can try somewhere else.

Basically, you get what you pay for.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I would'nt trust most Wal-Mart mechanics to wipe :poop: off my windows if they worked at a full service gas station.

Back in the early 90's when I had my 88 Ford Ranger XST 4x4 they continuously marked it down that they checked my front and rear differentials and transfer case oil level.

Three days after I had an oil change I had a rear universal go bad, I had it replaced, guy asked me if I wanted the differentials oil checked. Told him it was checked 3 days ago. He kindly replies that there has not been a ratchet in that plug for a very long time because the plug was full and had a 1/8 layer of crud over it.

Needless to sat I went back to Wally World and blew them a ton of crap about it and never went back there.

Now that is out of the way...

I bought tires from Tire Barn back in December and got the best price of all the dealers I checked, plus....

Tire Barn does not charge for mounting, balancing and also provides the below:

FREE New Rubber Valve
    FREE Lifetime Rotation (every 5000 miles)
    FREE Nitrogen Inflation
    FREE Tire Storage Bags
    FREE Manufacturer’s Warranty Service
    FREE Precision Hand Torquing

Why Buy From Tire Barn

Still not free. ;) they may not charge you directly, but they are still charging you.

Another thing... "nitrogen"... what a friggin SCAM. the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen. MEdical grade is in the 97-98%. Most manufacturing grade is 85-90%. Not to mention that the is already holding air before they fill because of the volume. So at BEST you're looking at 80-85% true nitrogen in the tires. Give me abreak. Scam-o-la.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Long story short. It costs money.

Longer version. If they quote you $100/tire to get you in the door then they have done there job. Now they do it, and charge you an out the door price. They must make money to survive as well. I'm not sure of your job or company, but do they charge a fee just so they can break even on the bottom line? Nope, they strive to be profitable. Gimmicks on freebies is just to draw you in.

Free rotation is built into the original price, free valve stems is built in to the tire price, free warranty is paid by their supplier, hand tightened isn't any better than torque sticks but both are better than a straight impact (don't let anyone use a straigh impact to tighten lugnuts).

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I bought my F250's tires this past fall new from Discount Tire's website. When they arrived I took them to Tire Barn and paid 10 bucks (each wheel) for them to take the old tires off, mount and balance the new tires. They even kept the "best" tire from the 4 and mounted it on a spare rim and balanced it as well.
    $40 out the door.

Top Bottom