• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    I've been reloading 9mm 124gr plated round nose from Xtreme. I just came across Indiana Bullet Company's website. The price on their cast bullets got my attention. What if any differences would I find between loading and shooting the cast vs plated?

Thanks

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The plated are much nicer to work with, less smoke while shooting, reloading dies not gummed up, less leading, shoots in Glock much better. Long term storage without having to worry about bullet lube melting away,

If the price is pretty close I'd stay with the plated. Grab a box of the cast and try them out, do a direct comparison.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Thanks, I'll stick with the plated. I shot a friends cast reloads once. Not sure how he worked them up, but they were the smokiest, most inaccurate rounds I have ever shot. Didn't know if that was his doing or not.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A good cast bullet in a proper load is as accurate if not more accurate than any others, at least inside of normal pistol target distances. Truly amazing target groups have been shot with ,38 spl wadcutter cast bullets for many years. I do not like cast bullets in the 9mm or the .40 S&W. Leading and all, the higher pressure/velocity rounds are better served with plated or FMJ. When I shoot in an indoor range cast bullets are pretty smoky too. I have gotten to the point that I use polymer coated, copper plated or FMJ just because of the cleanliness.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I got IBC cast 230gr .45 loads. I bought 500. I've had maybe 2% that were malformed or had lube issues. Also, I hope they don't weigh count because there's enough scrap lead in the box to make 30-40 bullets. As stated above, very smokey but I've not had any accuracy issues with them. As far as working with them, it's been easy. Not too much mess on the dies, but makes does make a mess on your hands.

Based on my experience with them, I'll probably just get plated/coated bullets next time.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    For handguns I use nothing other than PC coated bullets.

I do all the PC'ing myself. Much cleaner than straight cast & much cheaper than plated.

This ^^^^^

Powder coated lead bullets are cheap and clean shooting similar to plated. Some places sell them as Polymer coated bullets. Cheaper to make them yourself if you have the time and equipment.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    +1.
    Coated bullets are all I shoot now. You can get them from lots of companies. I recommend bayou bullets, SnS casting, and Missouri Bullet Company. Much better than plated for me.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I've been shooting cast bullets for nearly 30 years. Mainly because way back when the cost difference was significant. Recently I discovered plated bullets from Berry's and Xtreme. At this point I doubt I'll load another cast bullet for all the reasons above. For the record, I have no experience with coated bullets other than the ones Kempf used to sell some time ago (don't know if they still do, I wasn't impressed).

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Lead shoots just fine. Its all the problems others have mentioned. I shoot only plated and they are not that much more than lead.

Nice not having to clean the dies or the gun.

I looked at a box of Indiana Bullet offerings and they looked rough as a cob. I used to shoot Standard Bullet Company bullets and they were slick.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Shooting the odd calibers that I do, cast bullets are a better fit for me. I'm going to try the powder coating though.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Cast inaccurate?
    Er, uh, if my 375x45-70 ever misses something I'll be sure and ask it if it had a bad bullet.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I've been reloading 9mm 124gr plated round nose from Xtreme. I just came across Indiana Bullet Company's website. The price on their cast bullets got my attention. What if any differences would I find between loading and shooting the cast vs plated?

Thanks
    I would not shoot cast in barrels that have polygonal rifling.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Bought a bunch of IBC lead bullets awhile back. Biggest load of crap and waste of time ever. Will never even look at their bullets again.

Top Bottom