• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm sharing this for numerous reasons. Some people carry with a child and some are dead set against it (and I respect all opinions). This made think about my best carrying options when carrying while holding a child (because you never know). I typically carry 1 o'clock, 4:30, or OC. Who knows how I will be carrying if In the event of a life threatening situation. I practice with all 3, plus one handed, but not holding a child (weight). According to the article, I need to increase manipulation one handed. Any opinions/thoughts/experiences?
    Carrying With A Kid And You Have To Draw? Defensive Daddy Provides Some Tips | Concealed Nation

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Who knows how I will be carrying if In the event of a life threatening situation?
    Well, you can know this, by picking a carry method and sticking with it. I'm not a big fan of the "gun of the day" or "holster of the day" principle. I carry the same gun, the same way, all day every day. I train that way, I compete that way, and I practice that way.

According to the article, I need to increase manipulation one handed. Any opinions/thoughts/experiences?
    Carrying With A Kid And You Have To Draw? Defensive Daddy Provides Some Tips | Concealed Nation

There are multiple reasons you may only have one hand available to use your pistol, and it's important to learn and practice that skill BEFORE you need it.

I've heard great things about the ACT One-handed Manipulations class. I missed out on it last time, but I plan to make it this year.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Practice drawing with one hand while holding something heavy in the other. I shot a USPSA match once where you had to start standing with a small cement pig in your hands and then draw and fire with your strong hand without dropping the pig. It was......interesting.

BluBlur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    Stance would be another thing to think about. When I invision having to draw while holding my child, I see myself rotating my torso to turn her away from the threat, putting myself between her and said threat.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    My daughter is 6 years past carrying size.

But I can't imagine holding a child, presenting a pistol and engaging with evil doers while holding a child.

I suspect id either:
    drop my child somewhere away from me and in a location safer than proximity to my torso if I thought I might be shot.
    Or id be making such a hasty retreat that gunplay wouldn't be a concern.

So shooting while holding a child?
    i can't imagine a circumstance where that would happen.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Participating in some well designed scenario-based force on force training can be very enlightening for people who have only thought about what they might do without actually trying to see what the can and would do.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    But I can't imagine holding a child, presenting a pistol and engaging with evil doers while holding a child.

I suspect id either:
    drop my child somewhere away from me and in a location safer than proximity to my torso if I thought I might be shot.
    Or id be making such a hasty retreat that gunplay wouldn't be a concern.

So shooting while holding a child?
    i can't imagine a circumstance where that would happen.

Sometimes, you don't get to choose when you are engaged...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thought about several times, practiced none (other than strong hand draw and shoot), and worry about it a lot. Most of the time I'm out and about my family is with me. Kids are always carried weak side since that is more comfortable for them anyway (don't want the grip jabbing them). When the schtuff starts going down I'm going to get between the bad guys and the kids, and from there gonna fight as best I can.

Had 2 separate occasions (one at a gas station at night and one in a parking garage) where my spidey senses were on high alert, and both times I mad very direct and intentional eye contact with the guy that had me on alert. Both times the guy returned my glare with a slight chin up nod like you would expect if someone said "sup" to you. Both tugged on their waste and pulled their pants up a bit and walked away, stealing a few glances back at me. I was still staring them down.

They may have just thought I was a freak and couldn't stand the eye contact. Or, they may have been up to no good and were hoping that I'd be distracted with the kids and try to pull a fast one on me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom