• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I was driving to work and thinking . . .

If I were in an auto accident, and had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance, lifeline, etc. and had a handgun on me, what would be done with it? Obviously it would not be left in my vehicle, since it would have to be towed, and my wife does not have a LTCH.
    I mean this was just a random thought, but sparked my interest. Would an officer take my gun to my residence? Would they have my wife take it home?

-MColford

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    I was driving to work and thinking . . .

If I were in an auto accident, and had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance, lifeline, etc. and had a handgun on me, what would be done with it? Obviously it would not be left in my vehicle, since it would have to be towed, and my wife does not have a LTCH.
    I mean this was just a random thought, but sparked my interest. Would an officer take my gun to my residence? Would they have my wife take it home?

-MColford

iv wondered the exact same thing...looking forward to the answer :ingo:

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I don't know where you are located, and it may differ by location.
    I have only responded to a run like the one you mentioned once. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm surprised we don't encounter it a lot more often.

The run I took, Fire/EMS radioed their dispatch that their victim had a gun. That was all the info we got, so I wasn't really sure what to expect when I got to the scene.
    The victim was conscious and alert, but was banged up enough to warrant a ride in an ambulance.
    His wife was treated at the scene and signed her own release, but she did not have a LTCH.
    I simply informed him that I would take his smokewagon to the PD and he could pick it up when he got out of the hospital with ID and an LTCH. He said 'no problem' and away they went.

This was in Hamilton County. I'd imagine it would be similar in Marion County, with the exception that the weapon would end up in the property room in the basement of the city county building and you could jump through hoops to get it back when it was convenient for them, but that's just an educated guess...:cool:

Last edited:

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    I'd have the Wife get an LTCH so she could maintain custody as long as she was able. Also, it would cover her if you weren't with her and you have something in the vehicle all the time. That's how I got my Better Half started.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    She wont get the LTCH. I have tried. Im hoping with the warmer weather, if I can get her to tag along with me when I go shooting, that maybe I can convert her. As far as leaving it in the vehicle and her driving it, she never drives my truck, and I never leave my gun unattended.

-MColford

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    She wont get the LTCH. I have tried. Im hoping with the warmer weather, if I can get her to tag along with me when I go shooting, that maybe I can convert her. As far as leaving it in the vehicle and her driving it, she never drives my truck, and I never leave my gun unattended.

-MColford

She could get her LTCH and never carry a gun. Explain to her this very scenario and tell her that it would save a lot of headaches if she were able to take possession of the gun and take it home instead of it being taken to the PD or property room.

I have not encountered this scenario yet myself. If I did, I would make every effort to get the gun to the owner's house, but I could only take it there myself if it was within my district or very close to the border. If there was a family member or friend (with an LTCH) to give it to, I would. The property room would be a last resort.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Many years ago, before, I joined, the USMC, I wrecked my car, had a .22 semi auto rifle, in the back seat, and the Marion Co. Sherriff Deputy, met me at my house, and gave me my rifle, and all my paperwork, that was in my backseat, and never said a word .....:twocents:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    She could get her LTCH and never carry a gun. Explain to her this very scenario and tell her that it would save a lot of headaches if she were able to take possession of the gun and take it home instead of it being taken to the PD or property room.

I have not encountered this scenario yet myself. If I did, I would make every effort to get the gun to the owner's house, but I could only take it there myself if it was within my district or very close to the border. If there was a family member or friend (with an LTCH) to give it to, I would. The property room would be a last resort.

:yesway: It would be a Big Plus to follow the above good advice. All Property Rooms aren't as strict as the Marion County/IMPD Property Room about the return of firearms. Since it seems that you do not live in Marion County, check with the agencies where most of your driving occurs, including the State Police. I have had to place firearms in the Property Room for Injured Drivers, it does occasionally happen.

Stay Safe

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I survived a fairly brutal T-bone in September of '95 (Ford pick up truck turned into my driver's side door). I woke up hanging from the belt in the passenger seat with the cartoon birds and stars.

At some point the Sheriff's deputies took my pistols, I think in the ambulance where I was getting checked out ("How many fingers am I holding up?" "Ummm, you're calling for a fastball.").

Somehow I remembered my brother's phone number (I was living with him in Speedway at the time) who called my father who came to the scene and picked up the pistols.

I think most cops would prefer not to hassle with the paperwork of taking your guns into custody. However, having everyone who is 18 or older in your household get a LTCH is smart insurance.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    When I used to work in a trauma center in another state, there were a number of times that someone came in with a handgun. We would always call the police who would take it and I never knew how or if they got it back to the patient. A friend was once in a motorcycle accident while carrying. The accident was in their home town. He was conscious at the scene and quietly asked the police officer if he would take care of something for him so the EMTs and ER folks wouldn't freak out. The police officer took the handgun and turned it over to his wife in the parking lot of the hospital.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I had a Glock 10mm taken to the Marion County property room after a motorcycle accident in 2001. It was a horrible PITA to get it back, and mysteriously my two hi-cap mags and my holster had been "inadvertently destroyed" - ostensibly because the paperwork in the property room only listed my gun, not the "accessories."

Guy = not happy.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I had a Glock 10mm taken to the Marion County property room after a motorcycle accident in 2001. It was a horrible PITA to get it back, and mysteriously my two hi-cap mags and my holster had been "inadvertently destroyed" - ostensibly because the paperwork in the property room only listed my gun, not the "accessories."

Guy = not happy.

I wouldn't be happy either, especially with the cost of 10mm ammo and Glock mags. I'd prefer not to have a "mistake" like that hanging over my head so I make sure my property slips list everything that is with the gun.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I'd have the Wife get an LTCH so she could maintain custody as long as she was able. Also, it would cover her if you weren't with her and you have something in the vehicle all the time. That's how I got my Better Half started.
    Me to, I told her that if she takes my car and gets pulled over she could be arrested just because I leave one in there.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    My wife & i were involved in an accident while going to the target range . Our truck was totaled and we went to the hospital via ambulance . Officers and paramedics on the scene placed all firearms in a locking compartment in the ambulance and when we arrived at the hospital a security person took the guns to their office and locked them up .When we were released the security person got the firearms and carried them to the waiting car that took us home . NO problems and well handled by both the police and hospital personally.I later called both and thanked them

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    ...when we arrived at the hospital a security person took the guns to their office and locked them up .When we were released the security person got the firearms and carried them to the waiting car that took us home...

This may be an unusual level of customer service :) In all of the hospitals I have worked in, the security officers are not armed and therefore do not have training in handling firearms. It was hospital policy that they were not allowed to handle or store firearms coming into the hospital. Lawyer rules I guess.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I survived a fairly brutal T-bone in September of '95 (Ford pick up truck turned into my driver's side door). I woke up hanging from the belt in the passenger seat with the cartoon birds and stars.

At some point the Sheriff's deputies took my pistols, I think in the ambulance where I was getting checked out ("How many fingers am I holding up?" "Ummm, you're calling for a fastball.").

Somehow I remembered my brother's phone number (I was living with him in Speedway at the time) who called my father who came to the scene and picked up the pistols.

Do you ever wonder how many times the Sheriff's deputies pointed your guns at you and almost killed you while you were out of it before your brother came and saved your life by taking them?

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Interesting information here... Sounds to me like I will be having a meet and greet with a few departments.

I dont own an exciting gun by any means, its a stock Glock 23, factory mags, so I wouldnt see anything being stolen/destroyed. I guess that looking at the property slip really well would be in my best interests though.

Thanks y'all.

-MColford

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I got into an accident last year and the ambulance came out to scoop me up. I didn't bother telling the EMTs that I was carrying since I wasn't planning on shooting them.

When the nurses were getting ready to take my pants off I mentioned to them that I ddin't want to freak them out but I was licensed to carry and I had a handgun in my front pocket. The one nurse said, "hon, don't worry about it, I go shooting with my husband every weekend." They got the head of security and he took it... couple hours later when I left he gave it back to me in a ziplock bag with the magazine and bullets removed. Had to show my LTC, though. :-)

Top Bottom