• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My buddy and I was looking around for a cane with a 410 ga, 223, 308, or pretty much any pistol cartridge. Could not find any modern built cane guns.

So we thought maybe start our own business and build them. Before doing so how many would be interested in something like this?

We both need canes now days might as well have another round available.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    My buddy and I was looking around for a cane with a 410 ga, 223, 308, or pretty much any pistol cartridge. Could not find any modern built cane guns.

So we thought maybe start our own business and build them. Before doing so how many would be interested in something like this?

Cane guns are regulated as NFA "Any Other Weapons" and require a $5 tax stamp.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...irearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-any

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks for the heads up. So basically no one wants to wait 1-2 years to buy a cane gun. Regulations killing business opportunities. Will that's a no go then. Over turn that crap NFA maybe.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hold up.

It seems like there's been some creative engineering going on lately - including "blade" style non-stocks on pistols - to get around the NFA and the BATFE kinda went along with it.

Quick review of the regs, and I think something with:
    - barrel of > 12" and < 18" (?)
    - rifled
    - magazine fed (maybe only 3 or 4 rounds)

Might weave through the requirements.

Personally, that sounds like something pistol caliber, but maybe a slug would have value.

An attachment that locks to the receiver that isn't part of the barrel, but extended past it, made of material sturdy enough to be a cane... might work. Call it a shroud or something. Kinda like with the non-stock blades, it can be used to help someone walk, but is really just used to protect the barrel.... [wink] [nod]

I'm not endorsing this, but just as an intellectual exercise, it seems like something could be done.

(Oh, also just remembered the smooth-bore AR thing.)

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse

Repeal of the NFA would be the greatest idea; and yes that, for me includes machineguns and the Hughes amendment.

ATF has a quite interesting AOW collection.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Not for a manufacturer. Of course that license isn't exactly cheap, so that would effect the cost of the guns even more given that there wouldn't be a high demand for them.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Something about a cane gun scares me.

It may be my lack of knowledge on style and construction but walking around town and possibly getting a rock, dirt, or mud in the barrel as you are pushing it into the ground makes me uneasy.

Now if you could fold it in half exposing the barrel I would feel better but then you just put a forgrip on a pistol?

Top Bottom