• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've got many questions, but first the more pertinent.

Is it possible to use a can for a larger caliber on a smaller caliber (say 45ACP & 9mm)? Not ideal I realize, but maybe practical?

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    What is meant by a can? I know this probably sounds stupid but been trying to figure this out for a while. Thanks.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Can=Suppressor. It looks like a can on the end of the barrel.

I have a followup question, is the effectiveness of the suppressor affected by caliber in general? Is a 45acp suppressor quieter because the round is slower?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What is meant by a can?

"Sound suppressor" or "silencer".

I have a followup question, is the effectiveness of the suppressor affected by caliber in general?

Absolutely. .22LR is one of the easiest calibers to suppress effectively; rifle calibers like 5.56 are much, much more difficult. Bullet diameter and velocity, as well as suppressor volume and baffle design all come into play. There's also a bunch of physics stuff involved that's WAY over my head... all I want it to do is go "pew-pew". :):

Is a 45acp suppressor quieter because the round is slower?

"Quieter" than what?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Initially, common sense would dictate that a .45 can would be more effective at what it is intended to do than, say a 9mm can because the .45ACP is a heavy, slow projectile. This is not the case. A .45 is pretty difficult to suppress to the level of a suppressed subsonic 9mm. One big reason is the bore diameter. A larger bore leads to more gasses excaping through it, which equals a louder report. This reason is exactly why a suppressed subsonic.22lr round is pretty much 'Hollywood' quiet. Small, slow projectile, and small bore diameter coupled with a relatively low volume of propellent gasses equals a very efficient (read:quiet) package. Suppressors are a tricky beast and to really know and understand them, you just have to use them. You'll get a variety of answers to your questions depending on who you ask, but as I said before, you just have to experiment with the darn things to learn for yourself. In a nutshell, the answer to your question of: is the effectiveness of the suppressor affected by caliber in general? is YES, but not for the reasons you may have initially thought.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Initially, common sense would dictate that a .45 can would be more effective at what it is intended to do than, say a 9mm can because the .45ACP is a heavy, slow projectile. This is not the case. A .45 is pretty difficult to suppress to the level of a suppressed subsonic 9mm. One big reason is the bore diameter. A larger bore leads to more gasses excaping through it, which equals a louder report. This reason is exactly why a suppressed subsonic.22lr round is pretty much 'Hollywood' quiet. Small, slow projectile, and small bore diameter coupled with a relatively low volume of propellent gasses equals a very efficient (read:quiet) package. Suppressors are a tricky beast and to really know and understand them, you just have to use them. You'll get a variety of answers to your questions depending on who you ask, but as I said before, you just have to experiment with the darn things to learn for yourself. In a nutshell, the answer to your question of: is the effectiveness of the suppressor affected by caliber in general? is YES, but not for the reasons you may have initially thought.

Nice information, thanks alot! I just need to get a threaded barrel and get this ball rolling...

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    It seems to me the problem would be getting the barrel diameters and threads to match. But other than that, yes maybe not as effective...but that is only logic

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    TROS makes thread adaptors for suppresors, I bought one to run a .30 cal suppresor on an AR in 5.56 and it worked great.

My experience is smaller bore diameter=better suppresion. .22lr best, .30 cal subsonic very close second, 9mm not in the same ballpark even subsonic.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Wow. You haven't heard a good 9mm SS/can combo. I know a guy with an Uzi with a Gemtech Moussad. He loads his own and that thing sounds like a sewing machine when firing- quieter than the dry clutch on my Ducati!

Top Bottom