Can felons get their firearms rights back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggjimm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Grant Co.
    Actually the answer to the original question is yes you can get a gun if you are a felon in Indiana providing you meet the guidelines under the code. Indiana code 11-9-2-4 states a person can petition the governor of the state of Indiana to have their firearms rights restored. You have to be I think 15 years from your conviction or release from incarceration. I am currently trying to do this & am waiting on the paperwork from the state. You have to call Indianapolis to the clemency & pardons office I believe it was. I have the contact info at home. When I get home tonight I'll post that info on here. I think if a person was convicted of non violent felonies & they were not committed against another person, & that person has not been in any trouble since that time, then you should be able to get your rights reinstated. We'll see. They said it would probably take 6 to 9 months to get through the process & I'm expecting my paperwork any day now. The way it was explained to me Is if the governor will grant this request then I will basically receive a conditional pardon or clemency, which does not get rid of my felonies or my record but just reinstates my firearm privileges to what they were before. I hope this helps someone.

I don't know if going through an attorney may be better than doing it yourself. I just thought of that & I may call a local attorney's office & see what they say. Beings it is such a long process I would just as soon get it done the first time through. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:

DanoFortWayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I thought I would update this, I called a couple of lawyers and they all said it would be expensive and take forever. Then I tried Googling a Drivers License attorney in Fort Wayne and found this guy Fort Wayne, Indiana Criminal Defense Attorney and DUI Lawyer - IN OWI Law A much much much smaller amount of money later and my driving while suspended felony is now a misdemeanor, there is no wait to restore gun rights they are simply back. I had to make one trip to court and that was it, the Judge issued an order to convert the felony to a misdemeanor and bam all done! I get to answer no to any have you been convicted of a felony questions and everything. This lawyer just changed my life for the better and he did it in a very short period of time.

So if you are in Fort Wayne and have a similar issue or any Driving record issue this guy seems to know his stuff, I have one more step with him and thats a complete restoration of driving privileges and and I have no doubt that he will accomplish this.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I don't know about everyone else here, but I know plenty of felons that have a LTCH and buy weapons regularly. They just happen to be smart enough to have never been CAUGHT committing their felonies. I'm sure plenty of you (or is it US) can look back at our lives and see some of the stupid things we've done that would have landed us in the slammer with felony records if we'd have been caught.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I thought I would update this, I called a couple of lawyers and they all said it would be expensive and take forever. Then I tried Googling a Drivers License attorney in Fort Wayne and found this guy Fort Wayne, Indiana Criminal Defense Attorney and DUI Lawyer - IN OWI Law A much much much smaller amount of money later and my driving while suspended felony is now a misdemeanor, there is no wait to restore gun rights they are simply back. I had to make one trip to court and that was it, the Judge issued an order to convert the felony to a misdemeanor and bam all done! I get to answer no to any have you been convicted of a felony questions and everything. This lawyer just changed my life for the better and he did it in a very short period of time.

So if you are in Fort Wayne and have a similar issue or any Driving record issue this guy seems to know his stuff, I have one more step with him and thats a complete restoration of driving privileges and and I have no doubt that he will accomplish this.

That's great to hear. Hopefully you'll be able to sling some lead with your kid soon. (No lead foot, though!)

DanoFortWayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    That's great to hear. Hopefully you'll be able to sling some lead with your kid soon. (No lead foot, though!)

Yes we have been slinging lead :biggun:(not this weekend it was a little cold) Not only do I have the firearms rights back but I even got my lifetime LTC!

The first gun I purchased took about 7 days to get the clear (I am guessing the records are not completely up to date, the last one I picked up only took about a day to get the proceed so it looks like the records are getting more and more cleared.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I don't know about everyone else here, but I know plenty of felons that have a LTCH and buy weapons regularly. They just happen to be smart enough to have never been CAUGHT committing their felonies. I'm sure plenty of you (or is it US) can look back at our lives and see some of the stupid things we've done that would have landed us in the slammer with felony records if we'd have been caught.

I know a few folks with DUI's that possess guns as well

Top Bottom