• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Just my two cents, but you want as MUCH resolution as you can afford. You may have to zoom (digitally) in on a face or license plate in your recordings. The more resolution, the more chances you will successfully see the license plate or face. Especially if the video is taken at night, this becomes more important.

In today's tech world, 2mp cameras at 1080P is a minimum. This will in most case's get better IR illumination as well.

Buy once, cry once.

YMMV

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm am curious if anybody has a recommendation for a great security camera that can be streamed online...doesn't have to be a system...

Gotta keep an eye on crazy neighbors

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm am curious if anybody has a recommendation for a great security camera that can be streamed online...doesn't have to be a system...

Gotta keep an eye on crazy neighbors
    Pretty much any IP camera in that case. Once you port forward the necessary ports.

Oh, and make sure it doesnt require port 80 or 443, you can adjust it to use another (81/444?), or your firewall does port shifting. (cam may not like it too) Port 80/443 is the default port web servers talk on for standard/encrypted traffic. Since they dont want people running web servers on their network that isnt tuned for that, they block those ports before they even get to your house.

Its a PITA but doable.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thought I'd post to the thread with an update on my system - On Nov. 26, I noticed one of my cameras (installed back in May, iirc) had stopped sending video to the NVR. I did a bit of initial troubleshooting (i.e. noticed the IR LEDs did not appear to light in the dark, swapped PoE ports, Ethernet cable, etc). Looked like a dead cam to me.

Contacted Nelly's Security [1] on Monday the 28th, and after chatting with the tech support guy a bit, he agreed that I'd checked all the things he'd recommend, and I was sent a UPS label for return (i.e. NO out of pocket shipping). Got the camera dropped off to UPS on Thursday. All went well, Nelly's recieved the camera, confirmed that it was dead and had a replacement camera on the truck the next day.

Long story short - Received the replacement yesterday. Hooked it back up and all is working well.

Kudos to Nelly's for their customer service, tech support, and warranty handling. Recommended.

[1] - http://www.nellyssecurity.com/

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm digging Hikvision's 4mp turrets with EXIR. The key to these is they put the IR illuminator away from the lens. No flare, no hotspots, and they can put a diffuser on it so you get clean, even illumination. MUCH better than the array of LEDs

I tested one from work and was seeing deeper into the dark than they advertise. I'll be upgrading eventually.

But be careful. LOTS of greymarket stuff out there. You will only get warranty support if you purchase from an authorized dealer. (typically those only install they dont sell them for DIY) There seems to be one authorized dealer on Amazon, but I've been told they arent supposed to be sold outside of the installer channels.

This company claims to be an authorized dealer, but he is selling outside of the approved channels. So buyer beware.

https://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-Me...86890&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=sold+by+hikvision

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    How well do most cameras handle switching from IR to normal vision on the fly? If, at night, the camera is activated before a regular flood light turns on, will the video have to transition or anything?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How well do most cameras handle switching from IR to normal vision on the fly? If, at night, the camera is activated before a regular flood light turns on, will the video have to transition or anything?

Almost all will have a second of whiteout as they switch modes. I havent seen any reasonably priced ones that dont. The Hikvision one I tested was low enough lux for me to not even turn on NV. My floods gave enough light to get a good picture.

EDIT: and that picture in color gave better ID than the brighter high contrast B/W image.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom