• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Hello guys, I was just surfing the internet and found a video on how to remove the thumb safety from an M&P. Has anyone on this site ever done this? If so, do you want the safety anymore? My M&P 45 has no safety, and i would prefer to have one. i know, i know, its just my personal prefrence.
    my frame has the notches in it for the safety just need the hardward to put inside it.
    Let me know if anyone can help.
    Thank you.
    Ric

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I'd reckon if you call S&W and tell them you bought it and it didn't have the safeties, they would offer to send you a pair.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have written them. They responded adding a safety changes the frame and that makes it a different firearm. Not sure if this guy has any idea what he is talking about. I asked if I could purchase a safety. Waiting for a response from them.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    its funny, you would think i would be able to order this stuff directly from S&W. They must not have any parts laying around.
    thank you for the info.
    i will have to wait to see what s&w says.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    these are the statements i am getting from S&W customer service.

Hello Richard,

We apologize but cannot alter the gun from its original configuration. This changes the part number of the gun.

at which point i asked if i can purchase the parts to put a safety on my weapon.
    and their reply.

Hello,

We apologize but cannot alter the gun from its original configuration. This changes the part number of the gun.

Do you guys have any ideas? i am running out.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    after that i said, its my gun, i can modify it, i just need the parts to do so.
    his response.

Hello Richard,
    You will need a sear housing block and those are restricted parts. We cannot sell them. Sorry.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    This has been discussed quite a bit on the S&W Forum. If I remember correctly, you can not add a safety to an M&P that did not come with one. There is something different about the trigger/sear connection in one with safeties and ones without. According to the posts over there, it can't be done.

Smith & Wesson Forum

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Again: Contact that website above and inquire about the sear block they are selling. Ask them if it's for a safety-equipped gun or not.

I have a feeling it's for a non-safety gun, but I am not sure.

Another option you may explore: Search out other M&P 45 owners for either a complete pistol trade or to possibly trade sear blocks.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Again: Contact that website above and inquire about the sear block they are selling. Ask them if it's for a safety-equipped gun or not.

I have a feeling it's for a non-safety gun, but I am not sure.

Another option you may explore: Search out other M&P 45 owners for either a complete pistol trade or to possibly trade sear blocks.[/QUO
    true i will check, its just frustating, all i want is the thing everybody else want to get rid of.
    i will keep trying.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Maybe, I misunderstood the original post. I took it as your pistol had it's thumb safeties removed before it became yours... I wouldn't have thought it would have the notches if it didn't come from the factory with thumb safeties.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Maybe, I misunderstood the original post. I took it as your pistol had it's thumb safeties removed before it became yours... I wouldn't have thought it would have the notches if it didn't come from the factory with thumb safeties.
    It has never had a safety. But it has the notches with blocking plates over them.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    It is my understanding that the response you got from S&W is pretty standard. I wanted to add safeties to my M&P. Did some searching and decided that it was not that big of a deal to me. Not worth the effort to make it happen. I would be interested if you find a way to make it happen though.

Top Bottom