• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Life Member

Marksman
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Goshen
    A couple fewer votes in favor of Obamas health care takeover bill and we would not be in the position we are now. I think Coats is a bigger threat to Obama than to the 2nd Amendment

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    What's interesting in all this is that in the latest American Rifleman the NRA rates Coats a "C+" on 2nd ammendment issues, and Ellsworth an "A". He is one of the few pro-2nd ammendment Democrats. The NRA is actually endorsing him in this election.

That being said, I am voting for Rebecca-Sink Burris, the Libertarian. She is pro 2nd ammendment, and fits my ideology.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    What will you all do when your unelectable candidates are still looking for jobs after the election. All this stuff amounts to is a whole lot of chest beating and no possibility for any real change. Stick with and help reform the Republican party. Apart from that, for the foreseeable future,you'll all be railing against the system and hyping the next candidate that has no chance of winning.

This mindset kills me. The point of voting is to vote for the person that most closely matches your own ideology, and that you want. The point of voting is not to just "jump on the bandwagon" and join the wining team. If you do that you are not being honest with yourself, and your vote is truly pointless because you have not voiced your opinion.

If my candidate has little or no chance to win, but I like them, I will vote for them anyway. I can feel good knowing I was honest about what I wanted.

Saying you have to vote R or D for your vote to count reminds me of football fans whose favorite team is always whoever is in the superbowl. They are just fair-weather fans riding the bandwagon.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    This mindset kills me. The point of voting is to vote for the person that most closely matches your own ideology, and that you want. The point of voting is not to just "jump on the bandwagon" and join the wining team. If you do that you are not being honest with yourself, and your vote is truly pointless because you have not voiced your opinion.

If my candidate has little or no chance to win, but I like them, I will vote for them anyway. I can feel good knowing I was honest about what I wanted.

Saying you have to vote R or D for your vote to count reminds me of football fans whose favorite team is always whoever is in the superbowl. They are just fair-weather fans riding the bandwagon.

The point of voting is for the people to influence the direction of the country. While there's a great deal about the libertarian platform that I disagree with I support the concepts of small government and individual liberty. Those things are not currently as they should be. I'd like to see that change. If I want to see that change I need to adopt a tactic that has a good chance of being successful. I basically have three options, a terrible party, several small parties that can't get elected and a party that is quite good in a lot of respects but not totally what they should be.

There is a lot of rhetoric surrounding voting for third party candidates and it's mostly hollow. Your post is a good example of that. "...your vote is truly pointless because you haven't voiced your opinion." "I can feel good knowing I was honest about what I wanted." "... riding the bandwagon." Those are real nice thoughts but the problem is that all of those nice thoughts don't help you accomplish your goal. Your tactics are ineffective. In fact, your vote only helps Democrats stay in power. A vote for a libertarian is a vote for a Democrat. But, at least you feel good about being honest.

Anyone who is actually serious about changing the direction of the country should consider active participation in the Republican party. It isn't perfect and it needs some reforms but it is an entirely plausible scenario to lean the party towards freedom while maintaining its ability to win elections. It is easy to be ideological. It is easy to be lofty and scoff at people you think aren't being honest with themselves. It is difficult to take the necessary steps to be effective and actually bring about real change. If you aren't doing that you are part of the problem.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    What will you all do when your unelectable candidates are still looking for jobs after the election. All this stuff amounts to is a whole lot of chest beating and no possibility for any real change. Stick with and help reform the Republican party. Apart from that, for the foreseeable future,you'll all be railing against the system and hyping the next candidate that has no chance of winning.

I've been working to reform the republican party from within since before many of this forum's members were born. It hasn't done a bit of good. We're still getting stuck with RINO hacks like Coats and Lugar, and worthless jerks like Dan "I'd rather play golf than show up on the house floor for a vote" Burton.
    Enough!!!
    If the GOP doesn't want to hear what I have to say, then they can do without my vote. I will no longer be one of their brainless, soulless automatons kept around just for a vote that can be counted on. When they give me a candidate I can support, they will get my vote. When they give me Coats, they can kiss my butt.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    The point of voting is for the people to influence the direction of the country. While there's a great deal about the libertarian platform that I disagree with I support the concepts of small government and individual liberty. Those things are not currently as they should be. I'd like to see that change. If I want to see that change I need to adopt a tactic that has a good chance of being successful. I basically have three options, a terrible party, several small parties that can't get elected and a party that is quite good in a lot of respects but not totally what they should be.

There is a lot of rhetoric surrounding voting for third party candidates and it's mostly hollow. Your post is a good example of that. "...your vote is truly pointless because you haven't voiced your opinion." "I can feel good knowing I was honest about what I wanted." "... riding the bandwagon." Those are real nice thoughts but the problem is that all of those nice thoughts don't help you accomplish your goal. Your tactics are ineffective. In fact, your vote only helps Democrats stay in power. A vote for a libertarian is a vote for a Democrat. But, at least you feel good about being honest.

Anyone who is actually serious about changing the direction of the country should consider active participation in the Republican party. It isn't perfect and it needs some reforms but it is an entirely plausible scenario to lean the party towards freedom while maintaining its ability to win elections. It is easy to be ideological. It is easy to be lofty and scoff at people you think aren't being honest with themselves. It is difficult to take the necessary steps to be effective and actually bring about real change. If you aren't doing that you are part of the problem.

Your vote only serves to assist both parties in keeping their stranglehold on Washington. Lots of people have been trying to "reform" one party or the other for many, many years. Hanging around waiting for that "reform" is what has gotten us in this mess. Enough is enough, they get voted in here and then disappear for a few years until the next election. Screw'em it's time for real change, not just some hopey changey bull$#1+ to get my vote. Dan Coats hadn't see the hills of southern Indiana since he the last time he ran for Senate. The last time he was Senator he publicly stated his support for the Second Amendment then 2 or 3 days later voted in support of the Brady Bill. Last time he was Senator he had no hope of being reelected so he "retired". So screw Dan Coats and the National Republican Party for trying to put him back in office.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I have to agree. The main goal now is to stop the bleeding and remove the democrats from positions of power.

ROFL. I thought the goal was to protect our rights?!? It is this team mentality that is destroying Washington. If a democrat wants to protect my rights or a republican wants to protect my rights, I will vote for him. I can't vote for him because even though I agree with him, he wears the wrong color Jersey. Are we talking politics or sports?

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I voted for Coats this morning. I could not vote for Ellsworth due to his vote on the Health Care Bill and I could not vote for RSB because of her answer, in one of the debates, to the question of what constitutes marriage. I believe that marriage is a sacred unity by one man and one women.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I believe that marriage is a sacred unity by one man and one women.

I agree that marriage is a sacred unity, but 'a sacred unity' should not performed at a Courthouse. A marriage lost a lot of its meaning when it was taken out of the church. It's disappointing to see how many marriages take place at the courthouse anymore.

Anyway, i did NOT vote for Coats, I believe he is a tool riding the tea party wave to a victory.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    /threadjack

the sooner the government gets out of the legislating morality business the sooner we will have less government and more freedom. legislating morality is one of our biggest hangups and the largest infringement on our rights as citizens. everyone wants to be free but it seems to only include their version of freedom.

/end threadjack

Top Bottom