Buying Guns Online - What should I do differently?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Good afternoon all, and Merry Christmas!

I don't often have funds to purchase a new firearm, but finally landed a great job, and am treating myself to a new rifle. I found the lower I wanted on PrimaryArms.com, and purchased it. I filled out the info for my local FFL (I chose ZX Guns, due to being in Fort Wayne and thinking it would be a painless experience).

Now, I've done this process once before for a Palmetto State Armory lower, and had a similar experience, but at a different store.

Here's what I'm doing: I purchase the item, fill out the info for the FFL. I then email the FFL to let them know I have something on the way. In both cases, the stores say "We'll call you when it is ready for pickup." In both cases, no call comes.

In this most recent situation, tracking states that it was delivered on Tuesday. I waited to call until today (Thursday) as they say to wait for 24 hours before checking on it. The guy on the other end of the phone at ZX was not able to tell me where my lower is, but did make sure to mention that they sell the same brand of lower I purchased at their store (it's not on their website, nor have I ever seen them in there).

So... what am I doing wrong?

My plan is to wait until next week to call again if I don't hear from them, but I want to know how I can change the process to be more straightforward in case I choose to do this again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, in my mind I would buy local but that is just me. Paying a few dollars more and having the parts/gun in hand (plus supporting local gun stores) are all a plus. Takes all the hoops and hurdles out of it.

But again, that's just me. And that's how I would do this differently.

And congratulations on the new job.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I call my lgs and ask always before ordering to make sure it's okay and like above they will tell me if they have one before ordering online which is nice. They give me the okay and then I place my order to be shipped to them.

I haven't bought a firearm online since I built my Aero Precision AR-15 5.56x45 pistol. They usually don't carry Aero Precision so I usually order them in the lowers.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    First, make friends with, and purchase items from, the FFL. Then you have already started a relationship when the day comes when you need them.

My LGS gets on the phone and calls the person just as soon as he gets the package open. Some shippers forget to put the client's name on the item, it would be good to ask them to add your phone number to the shipping sheet also.

If the two two FFL's have done transfers before they have the lic #'s on file and the shippers get distracted as to how little info they added to the item.

I just stay with my fav LGS and do business through him, no headaches...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My LGS is lucky to have 2 guys working at any point in time. So if most all day they have a couple shoppers in there, logging in a shipment keeps getting pushed to the bottom of the pile of things to do. ZX charges what $20-25 for a transfer. Not saying it is right or fair, but that becomes a low priority.

streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    First, make friends with, and purchase items from, the FFL. Then you have already started a relationship when the day comes when you need them.

My LGS gets on the phone and calls the person just as soon as he gets the package open. Some shippers forget to put the client's name on the item, it would be good to ask them to add your phone number to the shipping sheet also.

If the two two FFL's have done transfers before they have the lic #'s on file and the shippers get distracted as to how little info they added to the item.

This is a good idea, and I am definitely going to have a conversation with them when I go in. I don't purchase firearms often enough to be memorable I'm afraid, but I'll ask what their preferences are for the future.

streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    My LGS is lucky to have 2 guys working at any point in time. So if most all day they have a couple shoppers in there, logging in a shipment keeps getting pushed to the bottom of the pile of things to do. ZX charges what $20-25 for a transfer. Not saying it is right or fair, but that becomes a low priority.
    This is a great point, and something I'm trying to keep in mind. I'm not really in a hurry, but it would be nice to at least know that they are in possession of the lower receiver. UPS just "lost" some jewelry I had ordered for my wife so I'm a bit sensitive about where my stuff is right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is a great point, and something I'm trying to keep in mind. I'm not really in a hurry, but it would be nice to at least know that they are in possession of the lower receiver. UPS just "lost" some jewelry I had ordered for my wife so I'm a bit sensitive about where my stuff is right now.
    The perils of buying on line.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    This is a good idea, and I am definitely going to have a conversation with them when I go in. I don't purchase firearms often enough to be memorable I'm afraid, but I'll ask what their preferences are for the future.
    It does not take firearms purchases to establish a relationship. Buy an accessory, ammo, magazine every now and then even if you can get lower price elsewhere. That way they get to know you. I always touch base with my LGS before buying online as many times once you factor in shipping and transfer fee they are only a few $ apart. And, if unfortunately you need warranty service you have someone local to talk to face-to-face.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

This happened to me last March. The FFL knows me by face and name but counter staff kept insisting that they didn't have the shipment.
    After a week I finally spoke to the one person that logs in shipments and told her the model of gun I'm expecting and the USPS tracking number. She realized that the shipment they had for a week without contact info was for me. FFL had emailed the vendor asking for buyer's info but they didn't respond.
    That's the only time this has happened out of 17 internet purchases. Finding a quality internet vendor is as important as using a quality FFL.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I would definitely find another FFL. Last time I ordered something I had it in hand same day it was received. And they called me . They charge 35 bucks but there Service is stellar. Like someone said above I also try to throw some local business there way from time to time. Even if its just mags or something they have in stock I need.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Good afternoon all, and Merry Christmas!

I don't often have funds to purchase a new firearm, but finally landed a great job, and am treating myself to a new rifle. I found the lower I wanted on PrimaryArms.com, and purchased it. I filled out the info for my local FFL (I chose ZX Guns, due to being in Fort Wayne and thinking it would be a painless experience).

Now, I've done this process once before for a Palmetto State Armory lower, and had a similar experience, but at a different store.

Here's what I'm doing: I purchase the item, fill out the info for the FFL. I then email the FFL to let them know I have something on the way. In both cases, the stores say "We'll call you when it is ready for pickup." In both cases, no call comes.

In this most recent situation, tracking states that it was delivered on Tuesday. I waited to call until today (Thursday) as they say to wait for 24 hours before checking on it. The guy on the other end of the phone at ZX was not able to tell me where my lower is, but did make sure to mention that they sell the same brand of lower I purchased at their store (it's not on their website, nor have I ever seen them in there).

So... what am I doing wrong?

My plan is to wait until next week to call again if I don't hear from them, but I want to know how I can change the process to be more straightforward in case I choose to do this again.
    I'd call ZX back. I've not had an issue with my FFLs of choice being able to find a gun I had shipped in. Might try a different FFL if you call back and they still can’t be troubled to take a look. Never done a transfer there but seems like at least the person who answered your call doesn‘t value transfer business very much

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would definitely find another FFL. Last time I ordered something I had it in hand same day it was received. And they called me . They charge 35 bucks but there Service is stellar. Like someone said above I also try to throw some local business there way from time to time. Even if its just mags or something they have in stock I need.
    I've been using USDS and they've been great about transfers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My go to as well, and I live a good ways from them. I do transfers there because they seem to really value transfer business. They post their ffl online so you can just send a link to the online seller if needed.
    Exactly. They make it easy. When you think about it, it's almost pure profit for them. No stocking cost, and the transfer price is reasonable, especially for about 5 minutes of work.

Top Bottom