• ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Bunker stories
    Once upon a time in a land far away I found myself in a sandbag bunker overlooking a small valley on the corner of LZ Stud. The centerpiece of the bunker was a mounted 50cal machine gun. When the senior NCO who posted me there did so he explained that if anything moved in my field of fire I was to fire on it but that I was not us use the big 50 unless there was a fullscale assault underway.
    Needless to say I asked why and he explained that the NVA would gladly give up a whole battalion to aquire such a weapon so unless it was absolutely necessary we should not give it’s position away.
    Now many years later I set and wonder about a lot of things I learned back then and feel the need to share and to ask my friends on the forum to evaluate the wisdom of this policy and to relate how it might or might not be relevant to protecting our own homes.
    Please give my your thoughts and discussion pro or con?

this thread is also posted on the Indiana Shooters Forum fyi
    :patriot:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Now many years later I set and wonder about a lot of things I learned back then and feel the need to share and to ask my friends on the forum to evaluate the wisdom of this policy and to relate how it might or might not be relevant to protecting our own homes.

IMO, unless you were defending your position against armored vehicles or engaging the enemy at distances over 1,000 yards, the .50 cal would have had a slower rate of fire than an M60 and probably would have drawn more attention from the NVA. I don't think the NVA would try to capture the Ma Duce, but you sure would have been an RPG magnet.

Remember two of Murphy's Rules of Combat:
    1. Tracers work both ways.
    2. Never share a bunker with somebody braver than you.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Cb, share all that you are willing to anytime you feel the need! There are many of us that can learn from you guys and we are here to listen when ever you feel like sharing!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    It wasn't all that great, live and in color. There was too little beer and way too much bull-$kit. Almost got killed.

Thanks for what you did though. Hated the war or not, you served the country. I know that it was unpopular, too much politics and too many good people lost. Thanks anyway.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Seriously, it would be nice to hear from out vets. They sacrificed a lot for us. I would love to hear from them and their stories. We ar losing WWII vets at an alarming rate per day. I am old enough to hear some stories from my father and uncles who served.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    IMO, unless you were defending your position against armored vehicles or engaging the enemy at distances over 1,000 yards, the .50 cal would have had a slower rate of fire than an M60 and probably would have drawn more attention from the NVA. I don't think the NVA would try to capture the Ma Duce, but you sure would have been an RPG magnet.

Remember two of Murphy's Rules of Combat:
    1. Tracers work both ways.
    2. Never share a bunker with somebody braver than you.

i dont get #2

Top Bottom