• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rocketscience

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bucle.jpg
    Found a good condition kelty backpack at a rummage today. Don't really need it but for $15 hard to pass up. No rips zippers and frame all good included lashings and replacement d rings and pins. I stood there deciding why i needed it and decided to put together a bob with it, using only rummage thrift store items. The kelty and i leave on a mission. This will be an ongoing thing and i will post items and prices.

Next stop a wal mart brand waist pack with additional case $3

after I got it home i put the waist pack around the lower of the frame looks like by weaving the straps behind the frame i can temp attach it.

This is not a primary just a little fun and thought into another back up.

Bought a bag of bobbins for $.50 chucked a pencil in the cordless drill and wound them with fishing line. Hooks sinkers and a camel snus/altoid tin the first addition.

Thick micro fiber pilates mat that folds and rolls up real nice and small $.50 Use as ground cover/blanket.

Please feel free to comment and recomend. Not trying to stock food in it just some budget basics. Flaming will be accepted without offense LOL

I'll have pics up soon as i get them on photo bucket
    patkin1

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I got an external frame pack from back in the day at a garage sale a few years ago. I can carry lots more stuff in it than most of the internal frame packs. A little more comforatble to boot. I had a whole 5 dollars in it.

So far it holds the family tent and other semi nice items. Not real pockets just big top and smaller bootom areas so it bigger stuff goes into it. It works well for car camping. Heck in the SFTF i am going to still hope for some type of transportation. The neighbor about 2 miles away has some of those miniture donkey's i can trade for.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    A few years ago I had trouble with buttons popping off my work clothes, sewed them back on with spider wire braided line. never had to resew them.
    Makes me think a couple curved needles in the fishing kit would reduce redundency.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Also You might think about a surplus camo cover in case you don't wanna be seen a mile away....

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Other budget items to add:

A cookset made from metal cans you have left over from food.

Set them on a fire, grill or propane stove (outdoors is best) and burn away the plastic coating inside. Oil the can down and nest it inside others. Make a wire bail handle for it. I have a set that consists of a tuna can w/ handle, soup can and small tomato paste can. Throw in a spoon or fork from take out and you are GTG.

Add some tin foil to that and you can make lids

A couple large trash or lawn and leaf bags for waterproofing BOB contents a poncho, or to use as roofing for a shelter.

A pair of old wool socks. Darn the holes and put them in the BOB.

A pair of cotton jersy gloves. Uber cheap.

An acrylic watch cap-also found very cheap-like .50 cheap.

A couple plastic water bottles can be reused as water carriers. Gatorade bottles are awesome for this.

Throw some NSAIDs and some bandaids in a small ziplock bag. You now have a rudimentary 1st aid kit.

Throw a couple packs of matches in a ziplock bag along with some dryer lint and small pices of dry wood. You have fire.

Don't forget some toilet paper.

rocketscience

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    i have not abandoned my post. some of the ideas will be put to use in it. first aid kit almost done, blue tarp $1 dollar thanx dollar general and a hatchet $2.
    On a different subject looking through a granger catalog i found they sell bulk vacuum sealing bags. i think the paper catalog had other choices but heres the link to the online catalog
    Material Handling - Grainger Industrial Supplies

there are some paks around $30
    rolls are $13 and up at wal mart here

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    i cannot figure the picture thing out. ive got a few more things and will update when i get it.

I got a good chuckle out of this, only because of your username..."It's not...:joke:" No worries though, I had trouble at first too, only because Photobucket was real wacky with my computer. Good find on the kelty rocketsicence.

Darn the holes and put them in the BOB.

Very well - "I DARN YOU SOCK HOLES!!!" :D

Sorry, the kind of mood I'm in. Listen to WETSU - he knows his stuff.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I have picked up several bags (different types) at rummages this month.
    I bought two bowling bags and a backpack (bookbag) at one rummage. I removed the bowling ball support frame (metal) from one bag and transferred my major first aid kit into it. (MUCH more room!)

Found another backpack (and a coffeemaker and radio) at another rummage. And a collapseable cooler w/wheels at another rummage.

(My friends call me the "bag lady" :laugh:) Can't have too many bags. :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I have picked up several bags (different types) at rummages this month.
    I bought two bowling bags and a backpack (bookbag) at one rummage. I removed the bowling ball support frame (metal) from one bag and transferred my major first aid kit into it. (MUCH more room!)

Found another backpack (and a coffeemaker and radio) at another rummage. And a collapseable cooler w/wheels at another rummage.

(My friends call me the "bag lady" :laugh:) Can't have too many bags. :rockwoot:

I've been buying up bags lately too. Last weekend I paid $15 for a flier's helmet bag and a good sized foreign milsurp (not sure where yet) waterproof backpack with multiple pockets.

This weekend went even better... I picked up a M2 ammunition carrier backpack, a medium sized alice pack on frame with pads & shoulder straps, a vintage but nice Boy Scouts Yucca backpack and a 1950s era US duffel bag. $10 for all four bags...

Now I just need to start filling the bags.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I've been buying up bags lately too. Last weekend I paid $15 for a flier's helmet bag and a good sized foreign milsurp (not sure where yet) waterproof backpack with multiple pockets.

This weekend went even better... I picked up a M2 ammunition carrier backpack, a medium sized alice pack on frame with pads & shoulder straps, a vintage but nice Boy Scouts Yucca backpack and a 1950s era US duffel bag. $10 for all four bags...

Now I just need to start filling the bags.

Great deals! Congratulations.
    Things I look for at rummages/auctions: bags, prep items, non-power items (tools/cooking or kitchen items, etc.) I got a bread maker for $5 at one rummage. Am bidding on a non-electric canning set. (8 more days to go.)

Top Bottom