Breaking News: Senate officially ratifies START!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Here is the link: Obama Wins Senate Approval of START Nuclear Arms Pact With Russia - FoxNews.com

My fear is that this was rushed through so quickly there are hidden gun bans or confiscation shemes tucked away in the language of START. Remember, whoever wrote this treaty had to have done so at the blessing of President Obama. It wouldn't surprise me at all if 2nd Amendment supporters will have new rules affecting them.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    How so? All it calls for is Russia and US to only have the capability to blow ourselves up 10 times over instead of 15...

On a side note: Working on the new START treaty shaved one whole minute off the Doomsday Clock! That's actual progress if you think about it... :)

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    How so? All it calls for is Russia and US to only have the capability to blow ourselves up 10 times over instead of 15...

On a side note: Working on the new START treaty shaved one whole minute off the Doomsday Clock! That's actual progress if you think about it... :)

I wish I had your optimism! :)

Remember Obamacare?:xmad:

boljr01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008

Actually this helps them a ton as it only addresses strategic (long range) nukes of which their stockpile was aging badly. To bring it up to our standards would have cost them a small fortune...we just gave them a hell of a Christmas present.

Additionally, START does nothing to contain or limit tactical nukes of which they have roughly 10 times our cache.

And, as if that wasnt' bad enough, the language in the preamble appears to take away our ability to contruct any missle defense shields.

Seems like we sent a high school debate team over to negotiate this one :dunno:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Actually this helps them a ton as it only addresses strategic (long range) nukes of which their stockpile was aging badly. To bring it up to our standards would have cost them a small fortune...we just gave them a hell of a Christmas present.

Additionally, START does nothing to contain or limit tactical nukes of which they have roughly 10 times our cache.

And, as if that wasnt' bad enough, the language in the preamble appears to take away our ability to contruct any missle defense shields.

Seems like we sent a high school debate team over to negotiate this one :dunno:

:+1:

We bent over for this treaty. The preamble is the worse part... we need to construct a missile defense shield. Why would we negotiate on this?

Why do this treat at all? What's the point?

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hey, if you can't rush something through without reading it because harry reid says "if you don't vote for START you want terrorists to have nuclear weapons" I don't wanna be right. I mean everything is better when you don't think or read, its amazing how many questions and problems disappear. How is that "Republicans are gonna save us" mentality working for you now?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Hussein's giving away more and more to other countries, but grabbing hold,of Banks, cars, health ins, the internet, soon guns

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    And just means we and Russia will get rid of the ones that are really old that we all wanted to get rid of and probably would have been duds any way haha.

LOL "Is too many kilometers on this one, Scrap it" (Russian Accent) :D

If anything, this signals a restart in our talking with Russia again. They aren't officially allies, but realistically, neither is China. It's an improvement.

Anyone who screams and yells about degradation of our military strength: Honestly? Nukes are a horrible device and the entire world knows it. Call it overly optimistic, but I think the only ones interested in nukes are remanants of Cold War thinking or third world tyrants (not to mention terrorists). We can still flatten the world 10 times over and people are STILL crying about that reduction? Why? Not satisfied with condemning one's children to nuclear fire less than a few times? :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why have the Democrats always been against us trying to build a defensive shield? (rhetorical) Do they had this country or something?(rhetorical) Besides Russia, we have to worry about that nut Chavez, the nuts in NKoria, the non-nutty but dangerous Chinese (who probably shot a missile up from the west coast, surfaced a sub in the middle of a carrier group).

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    LOL "Is too many kilometers on this one, Scrap it" (Russian Accent) :D

If anything, this signals a restart in our talking with Russia again. They aren't officially allies, but realistically, neither is China. It's an improvement.

Anyone who screams and yells about degradation of our military strength: Honestly? Nukes are a horrible device and the entire world knows it. Call it overly optimistic, but I think the only ones interested in nukes are remanants of Cold War thinking or third world tyrants (not to mention terrorists). We can still flatten the world 10 times over and people are STILL crying about that reduction? Why? Not satisfied with condemning one's children to nuclear fire less than a few times? :dunno:

Yep, the world hates them and thats why terrorists want them... I don't think it is the countries that have a lot of them that people worry about.... it's the people that have a few of them... or one or two....

boljr01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Hussein's giving away more and more to other countries, but grabbing hold,of Banks, cars, health ins, the internet, soon guns

past tense...he's already doing it. He recently, and quietly, blocked the re-importation of 1 million + M1's from South Korea. The sale of the M1's to collectors and high power competitors helps us and helps S. Korea raise badly needed funds. Come O'bummer supporters, start up the BS engine and try to explain to us all why this is a good thing. :dunno:

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    past tense...he's already doing it. He recently, and quietly, blocked the re-importation of 1 million + M1's from South Korea. The sale of the M1's to collectors and high power competitors helps us and helps S. Korea raise badly needed funds. Come O'bummer supporters, start up the BS engine and try to explain to us all why this is a good thing. :dunno:

Well, you know that M1's are used often in gang crime and robberies. Everyone knows that.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    :+1:

We bent over for this treaty. The preamble is the worse part... we need to construct a missile defense shield. Why would we negotiate on this?

Why do this treat at all? What's the point?

I totally agree. Not being able to defend against a rouge missile launch from Iran or North Korea is a huge gap in ours and our allies defense. It was shortsighted to limit this capability.

The lack of accountability on tactical nukes is another shortfall in this treaty. I would not be surprised if one of these weapons fell into the hands of our enemies.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Guess who's waiting till next year in order to read and ratify the START treaty? THE RUSSIANS! Man, shocking, they want to know what they're signing first....there are 3 required readings before they sign it. They have said preliminarily that they will sign it, but that it doesn't need to be done right now. Who here is surprised? Color me purple.

Russia Puts Off Final OK of START Treaty to January - FoxNews.com

Top Bottom