• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I pick one pin and stick with it for practice and shooting now. I missed a great shot some years back when a nice buck came in quick from the right. I lined up and just as I released I realized that I was using the 30 yard pin that I always used for practice, the buck however was about 5 yards away and the arrow just ruffled the fur on his back. He just kept moving on, his attention fixed on what he was looking at to the left of me. Felt like a fool.:laugh:

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    If your bow shoots really fast you can use the same pin out to 25 or 30 yards, that takes a lot of the range guesstimation out of it. When I first started bow hunting you had to have a pin for every 10 yds because the bows were slower. If you shot at a deer that was 15 or 18 yards away with your 10 yd pin you would miss the whole deer

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I hear ya Bob,I remember changing my sight ever 5 feet on my Hoyt Pro Medalist 35# target bow.

Who ever said shooting a compound bow was easy,miss spoke, I think you meant to say easier.

Shoot, compound bows are the toughest, most finicky things going to shoot. Give me my traditional bow any day. All I have to do is keep my form and pull to anchor, and the computer between my ears does the rest.

Easy peazy lemon squeezy! :D

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    One question then,why is it that 95% of archers shoot a compound?

Because most like (or learn to like) the "let-off" of a compound bow. It's "easier" ;). Plus, there's the "instant gratification" theory. Traditional archery requires more (and almost constant) practice to gain confidence in yourself to put the arrow where you're looking. If an archer is not willing to practice, or doesn't have time to practice, then a compound bow is the better choice. The learning curve isn't as long in time for compounds as it is for traditional bows. But, once you have the basics of correct form down, and the confidence in your ability to focus on a small spot, traditional archery is so simple. It's almost scary how accurate you can be by just drawing the arrow back, making anchor, picking your spot, and releasing. You can "feel" a prefect shot, and that will almost give you shivers. :)

To suddenly see the nock and that circle of fletches almost magically appear in place of the spot you were just concentrating on...well, it's pretty satisfying!

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I won the Indiana State Championship (NFAA) with a Hoyt Pro Medalist ,Not bragging or being smart but This is a subject I know a little about.Same year came in 5th @ Nationals in Vegas.
    :rolleyes: no, no, no. Nobody would think you were bragging...a bit full of yourself perhaps, but it's not bragging if you can do it.

I dont even own a recurve anymore.(Like driving without power steering)
    Poor guy. What a shame. To miss the fun; the tension of the string against your fingertips, the touch of the nock at the corner of your mouth, the whispered thump of the bow as the arrow speeds away. As for your "driving without power steering" jibe, I would rather drive the sports car myself without power steering, than sit in the passenger seat and just be along for the ride.

Most people in Competition shoot compounds because they will out shoot a recurve
    How do they "outshoot" a recurve? Bows are a mechanical machine designed to propel an arrow. Both do the job admirably. One does it more simply is all.

By the way, what type of bow is exclusively used in the Olympics?

Last edited:

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    arrows11003.jpg

ITs the truth,if you so big into archery you'll know where to look.Im not trying to convence you of anything just stating the facts.World of knowledge on the internet put it to good use.Hope to see you at a State Meet one day,see how good we are, I shoot A Class Freestyle. Hope to see you there. Later

No, it's not "the truth", and you're not stating facts, you're stating opinion.

I don't shoot at competitions much anymore because I was always running into guys who butt into groups talking casually and start telling everyone how good they are, how bad everyone else's equipment is, and what they should do to be as good as he is. You could always tell who those guys were because the group he was in would leave en masse away from him pretty quickly.

Top Bottom