Bought my Father in Law a rifle today (for a gift)...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bought by Father-In-Law a Savage 17 HMR (model 93) from Dick's today for his Combo "birthday - Christmas" gift. It was right at $250 + 2 boxes of ammo; after a 10% discount and taxes the total bill ran $279.00. I have $320 bugeted to spend so I went out to Amazon and got a bi-pod and boresnake for him that ended up being $43.67. So I am now at my limit (actually $2.67 over :D).

My only concern is that he won't be happy with it, or may be disappointed. I know he wants (we know each others firearm wishlist by heart) a 700 (in 22-250) or a 30-30 lever action as his next few rifles. But with the budget that I had to work with they were just out of the question. He is a firearm enthusiast and has a nice collection, but he has *never* had a 17HMR before.

Anyone out there had / have a 17HMR that they are happy / unhappy with?

I should probably quit second guessing myself and just take it to the range and sight it in so we can plink around with it when he gets it. Just wondered what the others here thought about it.

Link to Dicks Flyer Advertisement

7791182_12025270.jpg

Bipod Link

31fGctCXAsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I have a Ruger 77/17 and its a fun gun to shoot but I havent been able to nail down what I need the gun for. Its too hot to squirrel hunt with and not enough to coyote hunt with.

I guess if I go out after fox only it would be okay but I would likely take my .17 Rem.

I am not saying you should regret buying it.

What do the rest of you guys use your for, crow?

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I've had a savage .17 for about 4 years and love it. If you only take head shots, it's just fine for squirrels. It's also alot of fun on chipmunks and groundhogs. I never used it on a coyote, but I've heard it's effective with 25 gr CCI's.

I'm sure he'll love it.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice, I was just having a little buyer's remorse (as I usually do when firearms shopping). Seems like there is always a little better deal for the money somewhere else.

latj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I have the same rifle and really like shooting it. More of a varmint / pest gun but it's a lot of fun to shoot. I don't regret buying it. Pretty violent round for small game, I still use my .22 for squirrel.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I'm sure that he will love the gun - it is a gift, right? I think it would be tough to be disappointed with a son-in-law buying a gun for you.

Props to you!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    hopfully in about 30 years i find a man like you to marry my daughter. lets face it nomatter what ill hate him for awhile but a new gun would be a nice icebreaker

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    hopfully in about 30 years i find a man like you to marry my daughter. lets face it nomatter what ill hate him for awhile but a new gun would be a nice icebreaker

:) I appreciate that. I have been with his daughter for 8 years now. It was a pretty rough relationship up until we were married in 2007. Now we get along great. He has actually given / loaned (pretty much permanently) many of the guns in my safe / collection.

He is a great man that will do anything for his family. He is much like my paternal father (who doesn't enjoy firearms or hunting as a hobby). Obviously no one can replace your Dad, but he is a good man.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words guys.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    A gun is always a great gift for a man who enjoys guns. Hopefully some day in the far off future I will have a son in law that thinks enough of me to get me a gift like that. IMO that is awesome.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Nice going

Even if he's disappointed because it isn't the calliber he wants, once he shoots it he'll like it a lot. Unless he likes to scatter bullets randomly everywhere but where he aims. :D

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I have that rifle

I have that one, it is a great shooter. Topped mine with a Sweet 17 BSA scope and it is deadly on ground hogs. Friend bought exact same setup and took a red fox clean at 175 yards.

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Thats a GREAT gift. I have a 93R17 and LOVE it!! I have many guns, and that goes with me almost every time I go to the range. It has become one of my favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, super accurate, and stays sub MOA out to 225 yards on a calm day. Can't ask for more than that. Your father-in-law is lucky to have you as a son-in-law!!!

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I have sent a few yotes off to the netherworld with the 17hmr so dont count it short.............. let them come on a bit closer as it will do the job ;) Congrats on the gift idea thats great :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom