• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    We run the 440a stainless for Cutco, so they give us a 50% discount every year. This is the first year I have worked here so its my first chance to buy the knives. I figured for 50% and their warranty I would buy one to try it out. I bought the Drop point orange handle with their Double-D edge. I should have it b4 christmas so I will let you know what i think.

5718.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Let us know!

I think 440A is an underrated steel with the right heat treatment. It will definitely take a thinner, sharper edge than 440C and it's less brittle. A lot of Case knives used it in the past with excellent result.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Doh! Should've gotten the plain edge.

The double d isn't end-user sharpenable. (I think I just made that word up?)

My folding pocket knife...really should've gotten the plain edge. All the cardboard I've cut with it; ain't nearly a sharp as it once was.

-J-

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Doh! Should've gotten the plain edge.

The double d isn't end-user sharpenable. (I think I just made that word up?)

My folding pocket knife...really should've gotten the plain edge. All the cardboard I've cut with it; ain't nearly a sharp as it once was.

-J-

That was my original thought. straight edge so I could sharpen it but the double-d edge intrigued me cuz its not a traditional serrated edge PLUS you can send it back to have it sharpened whenever.

So I do agree and it was a internal struggle but i gave into the dark side.:dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    congrats man. i hear the double d holds a great edge. a lot of people swear by them for their kitchen and hunting knives

My pocket folder is still "sharp enough", but it has indeed dulled considerably from new.

BUT, I've cut a LOT of cardboard with it after moving into our new house. I use it to cut down boxes a lot here at work, too, so they fit in the recycle bins.

It won't cleanly cut paper like it used to, but it will provided the paper is held rigid and still.

All in all, I really do like the knife. It's sturdy and for me, it's the perfect size both closed and open. The only thing I'd change if I were in charge would be to make it a liner lock and not a back lock. While I've gotten used to one-handed closing with it, a liner lock would make it easier still.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    We call our cutyo's. As in don't stick your hand in that murky sink or they'll cut yo damn hand off. Always use a long spoon to trip the sink plug lest you loose a finger.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    We call our cutyo's. As in don't stick your hand in that murky sink or they'll cut yo damn hand off. Always use a long spoon to trip the sink plug lest you loose a finger.

yes, our small paring knife is rather sharp.

The steak knives we own have the DoubleD edge...much safer to "grab" if needed.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    We were given a large Cutco knife in 88 when we got married. When we spilt I left it with my Ex because she is affraid of it...........she always cuts herself with it :D. Plus it came from her side of the family anyway.

The edge design does hold.

It is not for me as I prefer to sharpen my knives myself BUT with that edge and orange handle that would be a great truck/camp/shop knife for brute force work and not lose sight of it. I would keep it in the truck door pocket. At 50% off you should be giving them as gifts to family. I often think of you as the distant Half Brother I never had.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    We were given a large Cutco knife in 88 when we got married. When we spilt I left it with my Ex because she is affraid of it...........she always cuts herself with it :D. Plus it came from her side of the family anyway.

The edge design does hold.

It is not for me as I prefer to sharpen my knives myself BUT with that edge and orange handle that would be a great truck/camp/shop knife for brute force work and not lose sight of it. I would keep it in the truck door pocket. At 50% off you should be giving them as gifts to family. I often think of you as the distant Half Brother I never had.

Damn brother, I had to turn in my sheet yesterday! :D Look under the tree next year:cool:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

I always move real slow looking for those knives with my fingers, probably why I still have them.:):

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Cutco Drop Pt --- Orange w/ Laser Engraving

I purchased these as gifts years ago for family members. I had their initials laser etched on the blades. Cutco has lifetime sharpening as well... a real +1 IMO. And they are SHARP... I found out the hardway.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats. I used to sell Cutco knives. It has been ten years now since I worked for them and I still get comments to this day from past customers that still love them. I have also had a few bad stories as well about people cutting themselves with them. Worst one was a lady using the wrong size knife to cut a bagel and ER trip later, very lucky they were able to save her finger!

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I actually got my knife yesterday and with christmas haven't had time to get pics or really do anything. I will say I didn't think I would like the Double D edge when I first pulled it out of the sheath UNTIL i cut an orange with it and I think I will be impressed! Updates to follow shortly!

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    My parents bought me a plain edge drop point and a DD drop point last year. I used the DD to field dress 2 deer the same day this year and it was a breeze. I cut up the rib cage and it was like cutting butter. I must also say they got me a fillet knife at the same time and it works great also. I fillet 10 catfish and 30 bluegills and it is still sharp. I am really happy with my cutco's. You will love this knife.

Top Bottom